Pennsylvania's 8th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
May 20, 2014
Michael G. Fitzpatrick
Pennsylvania has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in a primary election is limited to registered members of that party.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Michael G. Fitzpatrick (R), who was first elected in 2010.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Michael G. Fitzpatrick - Incumbent
- Kevin Strouse - Army Ranger, Former CIA intelligence officer
- Shaughnessy Naughton - Entrepreneur, scientist, businesswoman
Democratic Super PAC House Majority PAC listed incumbent Michael G. Fitzpatrick as 1 of 10 they are targeting as vulnerable incumbent Republicans in 2014, with the focus on those holding competitive seats. In May 2013, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee launched Jumpstart, a program that “provides early financial, communications, operational and strategic support to help top-tier candidates get a head start in these highly-targeted races,” according to the DCCC memo. Kevin Strouse, who is running in Pennsylvania's 8th District, was one of the eight Democratic candidates on the list. He was chosen based on recent polling figures which indicate Fitzpatrick's vulnerability to losing re-election in 2014.
Due to this vulnerability, Fitzpatrick, along with 11 other House Republicans, has qualified for financial assistance under the Patriot Program. The program is run by the National Republican Congressional Committee and helps raise money to protect GOP incumbents deemed in danger of being unseated.
|U.S. House, Pennsylvania District 8 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Michael G. Fitzpatrick Incumbent||56.6%||199,379|
|Source: Pennsylvania Department of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania Congressional District 8 Election, 2010|
|Republican||Michael Fitzpatrick Incumbent||53.7%||126,404|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Pennsylvania, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Pennsylvania Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 30, 2012
- PhillyBurbs.com, "Bensalem Army Ranger to begin 8th District campaign," April 4, 2013
- Official Campaign Website, "About," accessed June 6, 2013
- Sunshine State News "Democratic Super-PAC Targets Steve Southerland" accessed March 8, 2013
- Roll Call, "Democrats Launch New Program for House Recruits," May 3, 2013
- The Washington Post, "11 House Republicans named to incumbent-protection program," April 22, 2013
- NRCC Patriot Program, "About," accessed April 23, 2013
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Pennsylvania"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"