Pennsylvania's 8th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
May 20, 2014
Michael G. Fitzpatrick
Heading into the election the incumbent is Michael G. Fitzpatrick (R), who was first elected in 2010.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
- Michael G. Fitzpatrick - Incumbent
- Kevin Strouse - Army Ranger, Former CIA intelligence officer
May 20, 2014, primary results
Democratic Super PAC House Majority PAC listed incumbent Michael G. Fitzpatrick as 1 of 10 vulnerable, Republican incumbents they are targeting in 2014. In May 2013, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee launched Jumpstart, a program that “provides early financial, communications, operational and strategic support to help top-tier candidates get a head start in these highly-targeted races,” according to the DCCC memo. Kevin Strouse was one of the eight Democratic candidates on the list. He was chosen based on polling figures, which indicated Fitzpatrick's vulnerability to losing re-election in 2014. Due to this vulnerability, Fitzpatrick, along with 11 other House Republicans, has qualified for financial assistance under the Patriot Program. The program is run by the National Republican Congressional Committee and helps raise money to protect GOP incumbents deemed in danger of being unseated.
|U.S. House, Pennsylvania District 8 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Michael G. Fitzpatrick Incumbent||56.6%||199,379|
|Source: Pennsylvania Department of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania Congressional District 8 Election, 2010|
|Republican||Michael Fitzpatrick Incumbent||53.7%||126,404|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Pennsylvania, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Pennsylvania Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 30, 2012
- Associated Press, "Pennsylvania - Summary Vote Results," May 20, 2014
- PhillyBurbs.com, "Bensalem Army Ranger to begin 8th District campaign," April 4, 2013
- Official Campaign Website, "About," accessed June 6, 2013
- Sunshine State News, "Democratic Super-PAC Targets Steve Southerland," accessed March 8, 2013
- Roll Call, "Democrats Launch New Program for House Recruits," May 3, 2013
- The Washington Post, "11 House Republicans named to incumbent-protection program," April 22, 2013
- NRCC Patriot Program, "About," accessed April 23, 2013
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Pennsylvania"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"