Pennsylvania's 9th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
May 20, 2014
Pennsylvania has a closed primary system, in which the selection of a party's candidates in a primary election is limited to registered members of that party.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Bill Shuster (R), who was first elected in 2001.
Pennsylvania's 9th Congressional District is located in the south central portion Pennsylvania and includes Indiana, Cambria, Blair, Huntingdon, Franklin, Fulton, Bedford, Somerset, Fayette, Green and Washington counties.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Bill Shuster - Incumbent
- Art Halvorson - Businessman and former Coast Guard Captain
- Travis Schooley
- Alanna Hartzok
Bill Shuster’s (R) primary will pit an incumbent against the anti-establishment wing of the party. It’s not the first time Shuster has faced a serious primary. In 2004, he held off Republican challenger Michael DelGrosso, 51 percent to 49 percent.
He must beat challenger Art Halvorson, who has won early endorsements from RedState founder Erick Erickson and the Madison Project, a conservative group that recently ran a 60-second radio ad hammering Shuster for his votes to raise the debt ceiling.
Halvorson, a wealthy commercial real estate developer who has already put $100,000 towards his campaign, has hammered Shuster for his record on spending issues. Travis Schooley, an Army veteran, is also running.
|U.S. House, Pennsylvania District 9 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Bill Shuster Incumbent||61.7%||169,177|
|Source: Pennsylvania Department of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania Congressional District 9 Election, 2010|
|Republican||Bill Shuster Incumbent||73.1%||141,904|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Pennsylvania, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Pennsylvania Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 30, 2012
- Art Halvorson for Congress, "Home," accessed June 5, 2013
- Travis Schooley for Congress, "Home," accessed October 23, 2013
- Politico, "5 House primaries to watch," Accessed August 8, 2013
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Pennsylvania"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"