Revision as of 07:54, 9 June 2011 by Pthrower
Maine State Senate, District 8
|Profession||Eucharistic minister, mentor|
|Website||Peter Doyle for State Senate|
- See also: Maine State Senate elections, 2010
|Maine State Senate, District 8 - Republican Primary (2010)|
Doyle's campaign website lists several main issues: 
- Jobs and Economy - More green jobs, lower/eliminate business equipment tax, tap natural gas reserves.
- Taxes and spending - Avoid tax increases, spend tax revenues with more care, trim non-essential state jobs and state expenditures. Marginally increase state worker health care contributions.
- Voting and citizenship - "The right to vote is one of our most cherished freedoms. It should never be exchanged for political advantage in order to gain favor with particular groups to advance a partisan agenda. Moreover, it is a right that belongs only to those who are citizens, either those born in the United States or those who have become citizens through the naturalization process. I welcome all legal non-US residents to pursue this path to citizenship and, in doing so, obtain their right to vote."
- Healthcare - Doyle would pursue the possibility of allowing consumers to purchase policies across state lines to lower costs. He believes that all Mianers should have access to high quality health care, and that we should retain our power of choice. Peter would also create healthy lifestyle incentives that would discourage bad habits (e.g., smoking) and encourage healthy behavior (e.g., exercise, eating right).
- Environment/quality of life - Peter would move to upgrade to existing networks of walking and biking trails to provide a greener alternative to modern transportation.
- Transportation - "Existing passenger rail network service should be upgraded and expanded. I supported the legislature’s expansion of rail service from Portland to Brunswick. I would advocate further expansion to the Lewiston/Auburn metropolitan area as well as Rockland. I also believe that commercial freight rail needs the state’s support, so we can decrease our reliance on trucks, which further damage our already overburdened highways."
- Education - "As much as possible, educational decisions should be retained by local authorities. Further, parents should always be key players in setting educational policy. I would support school choice, so that parents could choose from among public, private and charter schools."
- Accountability/transparency - "As your representative, I will be a strong advocate for more transparency in the lawmaking process."
- List of candidates certified for the June 8, 2010 primary in Maine
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Peter Doyle on Facebook