|Peter J. Visclosky|
|U.S. House, Indiana, District 1|
|January 3, 1985-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||29|
|Elections and appointments|
|High school||Andrean High School|
|Bachelor's||Indiana University Northwest|
|J.D.||Notre Dame Law School|
|Birthday||August 13, 1949|
|Place of birth||Gary, Indiana|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Analysis
- 7 Personal
- 8 External links
- 9 References
He won re-election on November 6, 2012.
Visclosky was born in Gary, Indiana and graduated from Andrean High School in Merrillville. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Indiana University Northwest, a J.D. from the University of Notre Dame, and a Masters in International and Comparative Law from Georgetown University. 
- 1985-Present: United States House of Representatives, Indiana's 1st Congressional District
U.S. House of Representatives
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Defense
- Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development (Ranking Member)
- Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
Visclosky ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Indiana's 1st District. Visclosky was unopposed in the Democratic primary and will face Republican Joel Phelps in the November 6 general election.
|Peter J. Visclosky (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2012||$566,855.19||$83,986.42||$(129,388.90)||$521,452.71|
|Pre-Primary||April 27, 2012||$521,452.71||$9,250.00||$(18,545.70)||$512,157.01|
|July Quarterly||July 15||$512,157.01||$115,289.26||$(153,284.91)||$474,161.36|
|October Quarterly||October 15||$474,161.36||$91,314.05||$(267,565.03)||$297,910.38|
Visclosky won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010. During that re-election cycle, Visclosky's campaign committee raised a total of $891,338 and spent $1,387,951 .
|U.S. House of Representatives, Indiana's 1st Congressional District, 2010 - Peter Visclosky Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$17,848|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$17,266|
|Top contributors to Peter Visclosky's campaign committee|
|Nuclear Energy Institute||$10,250|
|Carpenters & Joiners Union||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$73,500|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Visclosky paid his congressional staff a total of $849,449 in 2011. He ranks 14th on the list of the lowest paid Democratic Representative Staff Salaries and he ranks 95th overall of the lowest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Indiana ranks 35th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Visclosky's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $664,024 and $1,786,000. That averages to $1,225,012, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2010 of $4,465,875.
Percentage voting with the party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Peter J. Visclosky has voted with the Democratic Party 88 of the time, which ranked 162 among the 192 House Democratic members as of November 2011.
Visclosky is married to Joanne Royce, and has two sons, John and Tim.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Gov Track "Visclosky" Accessed May 24, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Indiana"
- Representative Pete Visclosky: Representing the 1st District of Indiana "About Pete" Accessed November 4, 2011
- Pete Visclosky: Working for Northwest Indiana "Biography" Accessed November 4, 2011
- Indiana Secretary of State "2012 Primary Election Results," May 8, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- FEC Reports "Peter Visclosky Summary Reports" Accessed July 14, 2012
- FEC Reports "Visclosky April Quarterly" Accessed July 14, 2012
- FEC Reports "Visclosky Pre-Primary" Accessed July 14, 2012
- FEC Reports "Visclosky July Quarterly" Accessed October 8, 2012
- Federal election Commission "Visclosky July Quarterly" Accessed October 18, 2012
- Open Secrets "Peter J. Visclosky 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 4, 2011
- LegiStorm "Peter Visclosky"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Visclosky, (R-Indiana), 2010"
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed June 6, 2013
|U.S. House of Representatives - Indiana District 1
| Succeeded by|