|Governor of Vermont|
|January 6, 2011 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Vermont State Senate|
|Birthday||March 24, 1956|
|Place of birth||Brattleboro, VT|
Shumlin's political experience began with his service as Chair on the Board of Selectman. He served in the Vermont State House of Representatives from 1990 to 1992 upon a gubernatorial appointment to fill a vacancy. He then served in the Vermont State Senate from 1992 to 2002. In 1994, he was elected President Pro Tempore of the Senate. This led to spot on the Democratic gubernatorial ticket in 2002 as the lt. governor candidate. Instead, Republican Brian Dubie prevailed.
Shumlin took a respite from public life and spent the next three years running the family business, Putney Student Travel. When his successor in the Senate retired, Shumlin ran for his old seat. He joined the senate again in 2007 and has served in that position since. Shumlin represents Windham County. In the fall of 2009, he announced he would run for governor. He survived a five way primary that took days to sort out after initial reports were close enough to trigger recounts.
Shumlin has worked as both an educator and dairy farmer. He has his brother, Jeff, still run the travel business founded by their parents, George and Kitty, six decades ago. Putney travel facilitates middle school and high school students undertaking academic travel abroad. Last summer, over 1,300 students participated in 50 global locations.
Peter has two teenage daughters, Olivia and Rebbecca, with his wife, Deborah. In his free time, he enjoys the outdoors and still works at the dairy farm where he is a partner.
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 1979.
- Buxton School
- See also: Vermont gubernatorial election, 2012
Shumlin's 2012 re-election campaign is endorsed by:
- The Vermont National Education Association, the state's largest union.
- Professional Fire Fighters Association of Vermont
- Mayors of Barre, St. Albans, Newport, Winooski, Burlington, Montpelier and Rutland.
- See also: Vermont gubernatorial election, 2010
The August 24 primary election was too close to call. It eventually resulted in a recount between Shumlin and second place finisher Douglas Racine. Racine conceded the race on September 10, when the recount saw Shumlin expand his lead.
On November 4, 2008, Shumlin won re-election by finishing first for the two-seat Windham District of the Vermont State Senate, receiving 14,866 votes ahead of Democrat Jeanette White (13,531), Liberty Union candidate Aaron Diamondstone (2,464), and write-ins (219).
Shumlin raised $3,350 for his campaign.
|Vermont State Senate, Windham District|
|Peter Shumlin (D)||14,866|
|Jeanette White (D)||13,531|
|Aaron Diamondstone (LU)||2,464|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Peter Shumlin's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Peter Shumlin's Campaign Contributions|
Governor of Vermont
Vermont State Senate - Windham District
Vermont State Senate - Windham District
Lieutenant Governor of Vermont
Lost General Election
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$349,163 (Republican)|
|$0 (Liberty Union Party)||$0 (Liberty Union Party)||$122,525 (Republican)|
|Top 5 contributors||Peter Shumlin||$285,421||Federal Express||$500||Baker Distributing||$400||Vermont Democratic Party||$74,717|
|Vermont Democratic Party||$30,477||Vermont State Dental Society||$300||Vermont Credit Union League||$300||Peter Shumlin||$18,224|
|Jeffrey Shumlin||$16,300||Vermont Ski Areas Association||$200||Death with Dignity||$250||Peter & Corinne Shumlin||$15,435|
|Contributions by Candidate or Immediate Family||$12,613||Vermont State Employees Association||$200||Marijuana Policy Reform PAC||$250||Kitty Shumlin||$7,900|
|Shumlin for Senate||$6,670||Vermont Funeral Directors||$200||Frank Cioffi|
Vermont Trial Lawyers Association
|$200 each||Democratic National Committee||$4,000|
- Campaign website
- Biography from the Vermont Secretary of State website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Sen. Shumlin on State Surge
- List of Vermont Senators
- Peter Shumlin on Facebook
- Vermont Secretary of State, "Unofficial election results," August 28, 2012
- VtDigger, "State's largest union gives nod to Shumlin, Scott, Illuzzi, and Condos earlier recommendation for Pearce in Treasurer's race rounds out Vermont NEAs election picks," September 11, 2012
- VT Digger.org, "Professional Fire Fighters of Vermont endorse Peter Shumlin for governor," June 19, 2012
- The Republic, "Vermont mayors endorse Shumin's re-election," September 24, 2012
- Vermont State Senate official 2008 election results
- Follow the Money's report on Shumlin's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money.org
|Vermont State Senate - Windham District
| Succeeded by|
State of Vermont
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Food & Markets | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Board |