|Wisconsin State Assembly District 49|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Garthwaite has worked as a farm manager and farm radio broadcaster/director. He is a member of Dairy Shrines and the National Association of Farm Broadcasting.
On his campaign website Garthwaite listed his positions on a number of issues, including:
- Health Care - supports the "Action Plan for Affordable Heath Care , which mandates that the legislature pass reform to cover at least 98% of Wisconsin citizens while reducing costs by at least 15% by 2008," "Badger Care Plus Initiative, Governor Doyle's effort to ensure that every child under 18 has medical coverage"
- Property Taxes - "I'm tired of hearing the Governor and the Republicans argue over who can freeze property taxes more effectively. How about lowering them instead of settling for freezing them?"
- K-12 Education - "I find it disturbing that our school districts constantly have to go through referendums just to survive. I believe the way we fund our schools needs to be evaluated and overhauled. I believe in local control for our local schools."
- Economic Growth - "Building a stronger economy in Wisconsin is essential to the long-term future of the state. Economic growth relies heavily on the ability of business owners to provide affordable health care to their employees and families; having a better health care system and an affordable higher education system is essential to any rebound in our economy."
- Agriculture Committee
- Renewable Energy and Rural Affairs Committee
- Rural Economic Development Committee (Chair)
- Transportation Committee
- Financial Institutions Committee
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2010
Garthwaite was defeated in his bid for re-election to the Wisconsin State Assembly District 49. He was defeated by Republican Travis Tranel in the general election on November 2, 2010. Garthwaite was unopposed in the September 14, 2010 primary election. 
| Wisconsin State Assembly, District 49
Democratic primary (2010)
|Phil Garthwaite (D)||1,619||99.69%|
Legislation sponsored in 2009 includes:
- AB-113 Development zones, enterprise development zones, agricultural development zones, technology zones, and airport development zones consolidated; LAB audit required.
- AB-195 Volunteer Health Care Provider Program: chiropractors, physical therapists, speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, massage therapists, acupuncturists, and phlebotomists may participate
- AB-206 Industrial Hemp, Committee to Study the Uses of, created; report required
For a full listing of sponsored legislation and details see the House site.
The top 5 donors to Garthwaite's 2008 campaign:
|Tavern League of WI||$2,500|
|WI Assoc for Justice||$2,000|
|WI Wholesale Beer Distributors||$1,500|
|Operating Engineers Local 139||$1,000|
- Representative Garthwaite's campaign
- Wisconsin Assembly - Representative Phil Garthwaite
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions:2008
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign profile
- Representative Garthwaite's Freedom Speaks profile
- Representative Garthwaite's facebook
- Representative Garthwaite's twitter
- Representative Garthwaite's LinkedIn
- Representative Garthwaite's myspace
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 49
| Succeeded by|
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |
Wisconsin Supreme Court | Courts of Appeal | Circuit Courts | Municipal Courts | Wisconsin Commission Appointed Judicial Method Proposal | Wisconsin Judicial Commission | Wisconsin Supreme Court elections | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |