Learn about school districts in your state
By Margaret Koenig
Less than one out of every 10 registered voters in St. Tammany Parish Public Schools District 14 cast ballots in the special election on March 28, 2015, where Dennis "Coach" Cousin (D) defeated John Murchison (I). The voter turnout came to 9.23 percent of the 9,076 registered voters living in the District 14 boundaries.
The seat was up for special election following the death of District 14 incumbent Ray Anthony Alfred (D) on September 17, 2014. He had won re-election unopposed on August 22, 2014. Vacancies on the school board are filled by appointment of the remaining board members until the next general election unless, as was the case for this vacancy, the unexpired term is for more than one year.
Alfred's father, Anthony Alfred, was selected by the board to fill the vacancy in October 2014. He will continue to serve in that role until Cousin takes the oath of office. Cousin will then serve until the next regular election in 2018.
This was just the first of two special elections for the school district in 2015. The District 12 seat will also be up for special election on October 24, 2015, following the death of incumbent James "Ronnie" Panks Sr. (R) on January 14, 2015. The candidate filing deadline for the District 12 election is September 10, 2015.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ The Times-Picayune, "St. Tammany Parish School Board member Ray Alfred dies," September 17, 2014
- ↑ The Times-Picayune, "St. Tammany School Board taps familiar candidate to fill open seat," October 3, 2014
- ↑ The Advocate, "Ronnie Panks, longest-serving St. Tammany School Board member, dies at 69," February 5, 2015
| ...more news headlines
Welcome to School Boards and School Board Elections!
Welcome to the School Board Elections portal, where you will find information about elections in school districts across the United States. Ballotpedia is working to provide full coverage of the top 1,000 school districts in the country, as measured by enrollment. This information will equips parents, teachers and concerned citizens everywhere to participate in this important element of children's education.
Comparing school districts
Largest school districts at a glance
- 25,989,275 students served by the largest 1,000 districts by enrollment
- 432 school board elections for 1,352 seats in 2013
- 670 school board elections for 2,153 seats in 2014
Contribute to Ballotpedia
...get started now
- Cousin wins St. Tammany District 14 seat; 9% of voters participate, Mar 30, 2015
- Common Core testing looms over St. Tammany's District 14 special election, Mar 27, 2015
- St. Joseph School District settles Musser lawsuit, Mar 27, 2015
- St. Joseph investigation widens; acting superintendent considers new job, Mar 25, 2015
- Ballotpedia publishes video report on St. Joseph School District scandal, Mar 18, 2015