Read the State Legislative Tracker. New edition available now!

Primary competitiveness in 2013 state legislative elections

From Ballotpedia
Revision as of 16:50, 5 November 2013 by Tking (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
2013 Competitiveness Overview
Competitiveness2013.jpg
Primary competition (state comparison)
Incumbents with no challenges at all in 2013
Incumbents defeatedVictorious challengers
Primary competitiveness
Major party challengers (state comparison)
List of candidates with no competition
Open seats (state comparisons)
Long-serving senatorsLong-serving reps
Star bookmark.png   Chart Comparing 2013 Results   Star bookmark.png
Comparisons Between Years
Competitiveness IndexAbsolute Index
2013 State Legislative Elections
Competitiveness Studies from Other Years
200720092010201120122014

A total of 220 seats of the country's 7,383 state legislative seats were up for election in the November 5, 2013 state legislative elections.

There were 360 possible primaries in the three chambers with election. Of those primaries, only 32 (8.9%) were contested. The remaining 328 primaries (91.1%) allowed opportunity for a candidate to advance to the general election unopposed.

State Senate seats at stake Possible primaries Total contested senate primaries  % contested House seats at stake Possible primaries Total contested house primaries  % contested
New Jersey 40 80 10 12.5% 80 80 10 12.5%
Virginia -- -- -- -- 100 200 12 6.0%
Totals: 40 80 10 12.5% 180 280 22 7.9%

New Jersey

New Jersey has 40 legislative districts, leaving 80 possible primaries in each chamber -- 40 Democratic and 40 Republican. In the Senate, a primary is "contested" when at least two candidates are competing for their respective party’s nomination. In the General Assembly, a contested primary will feature at least 3 candidates since the top-2 vote getters advance to the general election.

There were only 10 contested primaries out of the 80 primaries in the Senate. In the General Assembly, only 10 of the 80 primaries were contested. All told, 20 out of the 160 primaries on June 4 (12.5%) required voters to choose between multiple candidates. In the remaining 140 primaries (87.5%), the candidate (or candidates in the New Jersey General Assembly) automatically advanced to the general election.

Virginia

Virginia had 100 House districts up for election in 2013, creating 200 possible primaries in the chamber. In Virginia, a primary is "contested" when at least two candidates are competing for their respective party’s nomination.

There were only 12 contested primaries out of the 200 primaries in the House. In the remaining 188 primaries (94.0%), the candidate automatically advanced to the general election.