R. C. Soles, Jr.
|R. C. Soles, Jr.|
|North Carolina State Senate District 8|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
He was the permanent Democratic Caucus Chair in the 2009-2010 session of the state senate.
Soles earned a B.S. from Wake Forest University in 1956 and a JD from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Law School in 1959.
While a member of the North Carolina State Senate, Soles served on the following committees:
- Appropriations/Base Budget Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Commerce Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Finance Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Judiciary I Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- State and Local Government Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Transportation Committee, North Carolina State Senate
Soles did not seek re-election.
On November 4, 2008, Soles was re-elected to the 8th District Seat in the North Carolina State Senate, besting Bettie Fennell (R) and Rachel Merrill(L).  Soles raised $815,067 for his campaign, while Fennell raised $178,742 and Merrill raised $207. 
|North Carolina Senate, District 8 (2008)|
|R. C. Soles, Jr. (D)||47,905|
|Bettie Fennell (R)||45,093|
|Rachel Merrill (L)||5,454|
In 2008, Soles collected $815,067 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|R C Soles||$341,000|
|North Carolina Democratic Party||$169,839|
|Robert C Soles||$50,000|
|Citizens for Higher Education||$8,000|
|North Carolina Advocates for Justice||$8,000|
Home intruder incident
On August 23, 2009, Soles shot one of two intruders at his home. The injuries sustained by Kyle Blackburn were reported not to be life-threatening.
Guilty of misdemeanor assault
In February 2010, Soles plead guilty to misdemeanor assault related to the incident and was fined $1,000. He was originally indicted on a felony assault charge, and if he had been convicted of that it would have disqualified him to hold public office. Blackburn had asked prosecutors not to charge soles with a crime.
- Official North Carolina State Senate website
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Senator Soles' State Surge
- Senator Soles' facebook
|North Carolina State Senate District 8
| Succeeded by|
William Rabon (R)