New York State Assembly District 54
|Profession||Staffer, NYC Council|
Rafael Espinal is a graduate of Queens College and currently works as a Chief of Staff for New York City Council Member Erik Martin Dilan. Prior to his current position, he worked as a community liaison for Council Member Dilan and an adult literacy teacher for St. Rita's Church Adult Literacy/GED Program.
Espinal faces Jesus Gonzalez (WFP) and Deidra Towns (Community First) in the September 13, 2011 special election. Espinal is also running on the Republican, Conservative, and United We Can Party tickets.
Espinal's campaign site details his policy goals and campaign themes:
- Education: "Rafael is looking to bring more adult literacy and GED programs back into the district to empower our community. Neighborhood residents will receive the tools needed to capitalize on opportunities and better paying jobs. Rafael will also look to find ways to implement more arts programs into our public schools."
- Affordable Rental Housing and Increased Home Ownership: "He will work with community based organizations and local elected officials to further expand affordable housing services... Property taxes create an environment that is unfair to both owners and tenants. When in Albany, he will look to vote on legislation to put a tax cap on property taxes across the city."
- Health Care: "As our next Assembly representative, Rafael will work to enforce and expand on the Medical Redesign Team's recommendations, and find community based solutions to health care needs."
- Green Community: "Rafael Espinal is committed to spearheading the fight for groundbreaking programs that would reduce energy bills for homeowners, reduce our carbon footprints and create green jobs for families in our community..."
- Fiscal Responsibility: "Wasteful spending on useless projects that serve the interests of lobbyists and self-serving politicians should be eliminated. This will ensure adequate funding for our primary necessities such as education, transportation, health care and cultural institutions."
Friends of Espinal
PO BOX 80439
Brooklyn, NY 11208
- Rafael Espinal, Campaign Site
- Rafael Espinal, LinkedIn Profile
- Rafael Espinal, Facebook Page
- The Empire, "'I’m a grassroots kid': Rafael Espinal, Vito Lopez, and the special election in Brooklyn’s 54th Assembly District," August 12, 2011