|New York State Assembly District 54|
|2011 - Present|
|January 7, 2013|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$61/half day and $171/full day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
Rafael Espinal is a graduate of Queens College and worked as a Chief of Staff for New York City Council Member Erik Martin Dilan. Prior to working for Dilan, he worked as a community liaison for Council Member Dilan and an adult literacy teacher for St. Rita's Church Adult Literacy/GED Program.
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2012
Espinal is running in the 2012 election for New York State Assembly District 54. He is running against Juan C. Rodriguez in the Democratic primary on September 13, 2012. He is also running on the Conservative Party ticket. Khorshed A. Chowdhury is running unopposed in the Republican primary. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012. 
Espinal defeated Jesus Gonzalez (WFP) and Deidra Towns (Community First) in the September 13, 2011 special election. Espinal also ran on the Republican, Conservative, and United We Can Party tickets.
Espinal's campaign site details his policy goals and campaign themes:
- Education: "Rafael is looking to bring more adult literacy and GED programs back into the district to empower our community. Neighborhood residents will receive the tools needed to capitalize on opportunities and better paying jobs. Rafael will also look to find ways to implement more arts programs into our public schools."
- Affordable Rental Housing and Increased Home Ownership: "He will work with community based organizations and local elected officials to further expand affordable housing services... Property taxes create an environment that is unfair to both owners and tenants. When in Albany, he will look to vote on legislation to put a tax cap on property taxes across the city."
- Health Care: "As our next Assembly representative, Rafael will work to enforce and expand on the Medical Redesign Team's recommendations, and find community based solutions to health care needs."
- Green Community: "Rafael Espinal is committed to spearheading the fight for groundbreaking programs that would reduce energy bills for homeowners, reduce our carbon footprints and create green jobs for families in our community..."
- Fiscal Responsibility: "Wasteful spending on useless projects that serve the interests of lobbyists and self-serving politicians should be eliminated. This will ensure adequate funding for our primary necessities such as education, transportation, health care and cultural institutions."
Friends of Espinal
PO BOX 80439
Brooklyn, NY 11208
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Rafael + Espinal + New York + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rafael Espinal, Campaign Site
- Rafael Espinal, LinkedIn Profile
- Rafael Espinal, Facebook Page
- The Empire, "'I’m a grassroots kid': Rafael Espinal, Vito Lopez, and the special election in Brooklyn’s 54th Assembly District," August 12, 2011
- Gotham Gazette, "Three Candidates Vie in a Special Special Election," August 24, 2011
- Times Newsweekly.com, Assemblywoman Pheffer's New Gig, accessed June 2, 2011
- Rafael Espinal, LinkedIn Profile, accessed September 9, 2011
- State of New York, State Board of Elections, Candidate Petition List, retrieved August 15, 2012.
- ABC News, "New York unofficial 2012 primary election results," accessed September 13, 2012
- New York Daily News, "32BJ/SEIU Endorses For State Senate, Assembly," August 1, 2012
- Wall Street Journal, "6 of 6 Dems capture NY Assembly special elections," September 13, 2011
|New York Assembly - District 54
| Succeeded by|
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |