Recall of Thomas Buckley from the Lake Elsinore City Council, California (2010)
7 school board and city council members were up for recall in California on February 23, 2010. Buckley was the sole politician to emerge from the recall votes still in office.
Those who wanted to recall Buckley had accused him of profiting from a land deal when he was the head of Lake Elsinore's redevelopment agency. They said that Buckley arranged for the city's Redevelopment Agency to purchase land from one of his campaign supporters at a price that was approximately double what Buckley's campaign supporter paid for the land. Buckley denies any wrongdoing. Buckley says that he did not profit from the sale.
The embattled city councilman was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, a misdemeanor charge, in early November 2009. With respect to the incident, Buckley said: "I apologize. I take responsibility. I hope the community understands. I'm already working to resolve the matter quickly and appropriately. It's never a good time for somebody to do something stupid. It's never a good time for a council member to do something stupid. It's really never a good a time for a council member facing a bogus recall to do something stupid. I hope the community will be able to separate the two issues."
Enelida Caron was the head of the Committee to Recall Thomas Buckley.
|Should Thomas Buckley be recalled?|
- These final, certified, results are from the Riverside County elections office.
Aftermath: Businessman arrested
In May 2010, Michel Knight was arrested "on suspicion of conspiring to hide his financial involvement" in the unsuccessful effort to recall Buckley.
Knight owns Trevi Entertainment Center, a bowling alley and arcade complex, in Lake Elsinore.
Knight was arrested by Riverside County district attorney's investigators. He is charged with perjury, filing false documents and violating campaign disclosure requirements, as well as conspiracy to commit those particular crimes. If convicted on all six charges, he could be sentenced to as many as five years in prison.
Recall target Buckley stated his belief that Knight "engineered and bankrolled" the recall campaign because Buckley supported revoking a live-entertainment permit at Trevi.
- Riverside County, California ballot measures
- Recall campaigns in California
- Political recall efforts, 2010
- Buckley recall election results
- City of Lake Elsinore website
- Notice of recall election
- Thomas Buckley campaign finance report
- Steve Manos campaign finance report
- Press Enterprise, "Date set for Lake Elsinore councilman's recall election", October 27, 2009
- The Californian, "State agency looking into recall committee paperwork", October 7, 2009
- Press Enterprise, "Buckley, Manos detail campaign spending for recall vote", February 18, 2010
- Press Enterprise, "Steven Manos to challenge Councilman Thomas Buckley in recall election", October 29, 2009
- Press Enterprise, "Three candidates running to oust Lake Elsinore Councilman Thomas Buckley", December 10, 2009
- Press Enterprise, "Lake Elsinore councilman arrested on suspicion of DUI", November 9, 2009
- Press Enterprise, "Lake Elsinore businessman arrested, suspected of concealing role in recall election", May 20, 2010
- Press Enterprise, "Michel Knight makes first court appearance in recall prosecution", June 17, 2010