Rhode Island Secretary of State
The current officeholder is Ralph Mollis.
Article IV, Section 1 of the state constitution specifies that the offices of state constitution, no person may hold the office of governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, and treasurer are to be elected every 4 years during the November general election and shall hold their offices beginning the first Tuesday of January next succeeding their election, until their successors are elected and qualified. The offices are elected in mid-term election years (2010, 2014, 2018, et cetera).
According to Article IV, Section 1 of the state constitution, no person may hold the office of governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, or treasurer for more than 2 consecutive terms.
According to the Rhode Island Secretary of State, "if you are a registered voter who is 18 years of age or older, you may run for any political office in Rhode Island other than senator in Congress."
- at least 18 years old
- a registered voter
The office of the secretary of state is composed of five separate divisions:
- The Elections and Civics Division prepares ballots, ensures accessibility of voting facilities, qualifies and certifies the names of all federal and state candidates for ballot placement, maintains a database of registered voters, and ensures compliance with the Help America Vote Act. Administration of elections and compliance with campaign finance laws is the responsibility of a separate state agency, the Rhode Island Board of Elections.
- The Corporations Division is responsible for a wide range of business-related legal documents and filings, including formation of corporations and other business entities, liens and security interests under the Uniform Commercial Code, registration of notaries public, apostilles, trademarks and service marks, registration of businesses conducting games of chance, and various other documents required by state law.
- The Public Information Division accepts many filings required to be made with secretary of state, including Lobbying Disclosures, Public Meeting Notices and Minutes, Disclosure of State Government Consultants and Appointments to Boards and Commissions, and other government information. This division also publishes the Rhode Island Government Owner's Manual, which gives a broad overview of various government offices and officials.
- The Rhode Island State Archives is the official custodian and trustee for public records of permanent historical value.
- The Rhode Island State Library, which was created in 1852 by a General Assembly resolution as part of the office of the secretary of state. Its purpose is to assist members of the Rhode Island General Assembly with research on the preparation of proposed legislation. The State Library also includes a law library.
|2006 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary |
|Democratic Party||A. Ralph Mollis||53.1%|
|Democratic Party||Guillaume de Ramel||46.9%|
|2006 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Democratic Party||A. Ralph Mollis||53.6%|
|Republican Party||Sue A. Stenhouse||46.4%|
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - Democratic Primary |
|Democratic Party||A. Ralph Mollis||63.3%|
|Democratic Party||Leonidas Raptakis||36.7%|
- 2010 Race for Secretary of State - Republican Primary
- Catherine Terry Taylor ran unopposed in this contest
|2010 Race for Secretary of State - General Election |
|Democratic Party||A. Ralph Mollis||50.6%|
|Republican Party||Catherine Terry Taylor||49.4%|
Secretary of State
82 Smith Street
State House Room 217
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2357
Toll Free Phone: 711
Fax: (401) 222-1356
- Ralph Mollis, Rhode Island Secretary of State
- Governor of Rhode Island
- Lieutenant Governor of Rhode Island
- Attorney General of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Constitution
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "How to Run for Office: 2010," retrieved October 7, 2011
- Rhode Island Board of Elections - 2006 Democratic Primary Election Results
- Rhode Island Board of Elections - 2006 General Election Results
- Rhode Island State Board of Elections - 2010 Primary Election Results
- Rhode Island State Board of Elections - 2010 General Election Results