Rhode Island school districts
|K-12 Education in Rhode Island|
|State Superintendent: Deborah Gist|
|Number of students: 142,854|
|Number of teachers: 11,414|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:12.5|
|Number of school districts: 54|
|Number of schools: 308|
|Graduation rate: 77%|
|Per-pupil spending: $13,815|
|Rhode Island Department of Education • List of school districts in Rhode Island • Rhode Island • School boards portal|
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in Rhode Island
Glossary of education terms
Rhode Island is home to 54 school districts, 303 schools and 142,854 K-12 students.
- Eva-Marie Mancuso, Chair
- Antonio Barajas, MD
- Michael Bernstein
- Colleen A. Callahan
- Karin Forbes
- Jo Eva Gaines
- Michael A. Grande
- Patrick A. Guida, Esq.
- William Maaia
- Lawrence Purtill
- Mathies Santos
The following list details the racial demographics of Rhode Island schools according to the U.S. Department of Education:
|Race||% of Rhode Island students|
|Two or more||2|
School board elections
A total of two Rhode Island school districts among America's largest school districts by enrollment held elections in 2014 for 10 seats. Each district held elections on November 4, 2014.
Here are several quick facts about Rhode Island's school board elections in 2014:
- The largest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 was Cranston Public Schools with 10,653 K-12 students.
- The smallest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 was Warwick Public Schools with 10,174 K-12 students.
- Cranston Public Schools had the most seats on the ballot in 2014 with seven seats up for election.
- Warwick Public Schools had the fewest seats on the ballot in 2014 with three seats up for election.
The districts listed below served 20,827 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district names for more information on the district and its school board elections.
|2014 Rhode Island School Board Elections|
|District||Date||Seats up for election||Total board seats||Student enrollment|
|Cranston Public Schools||11/4/2014||7||7||10,653|
|Warwick Public Schools||11/4/2014||3||5||10,174|
- Rhode Island
- List of school districts in Rhode Island
- Superintendent of Schools
- Rhode Island Commissioner of Education
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- U.S. Department of Education, "2012 EDFacts State Profile," Accessed August 13, 2013
- Rhode Island Department of Education, "Board Members," Accessed August 13, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of Rhode Island
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | General Treasurer | Auditor General | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Environmental Management | Director of Labor | Chair of Public Utilities |
Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education | Rhode Island school districts |