Solis resides in Greeley, Colorado. Solis graduated from Greeley West High School in 1987, and in her career, she has served as both the manager of a dentist's office and as a co-host of a weekly radio show in the area. She is currently the Greeley chapter co-chair of the Colorado Latino Forum.
|Greeley-Evans School District 6, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Roger Alan DeWitt Incumbent||13.6%||9,773|
|Nonpartisan||Paleri Mann Incumbent||8.5%||6,142|
|Source: Weld County, Colorado, "Election Summary Report, 2013 Weld County Coordinated Election," November 15, 2013|
Solis received an endorsement for her campaign from the Greeley Tribune.
What was at stake?
Four seats on the board were at stake in this election. Two incumbents, Roger Alan DeWitt and Paleri Mann, filed for re-election while fellow incumbents Scott Rankin and Linda J. Trimberger decided not to run. They competed with six challengers in Donna Downey, Rhonda Solis, Steve Hall, Ron Brecheisen, John Haefeli and Logan Mahan for the four open seats. Downey, Hall, Brecheisen and Mahan decided to run as "The Fab Four" slate due to their shared conservative positions on issues, such as Amendment 66.
Amendment 66 was an initiated constitutional amendment on the Colorado ballot that would have raised the state's income tax in order to increase state funding for public school districts. The Colorado Legislative Council estimated that the current state funding of approximately $5.5 billion would rise by $915 million if the measure had passed, which it did not. This issue divided the candidates, with Roger Alan DeWitt, Paleri Mann, Rhonda Solis and John Haefeli in support of the measure and Ron Brecheisen, Donna Downey, Steve Hall and Logan Mahan opposing it.
About the districtWeld County, Colorado. The county seat of Weld County is Greeley, Colorado. According to the 2010 US Census, Weld County is home to 263,691 residents.
Weld County underperformed the rest of Colorado based on average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Weld County was $55,825 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Weld County was 13.8% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 25.6% of Weld County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to a 36.3% in Colorado.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rhonda + Solis + Greeley-Evans + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sherrie Peif, Greeley Tribune, "Greeley West graduate to run for District 6 board," September 3, 2013
- Greeley Tribune, "Greality: Latina is primed for a big run," February 5, 2010
- Colorado Latino Forum, "CLF Board of Directors," accessed October 7, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," accessed December 19, 2013
- Greeley Tribune, "Tribune Opinion: Four candidates offer right mix of experience, understanding for D6 school board," October 17, 2013
- Sherrie Peif, Greeley Tribune, "Greeley-Evans District 6 school board election draws slate of candidates dubbed ‘Fab Four’," October 16, 2013
- Legislative Council Staff, Education Policy Center, "Table 1," accessed October 7, 2013
- Facebook, "Parents for District 6 School Reform," accessed October 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Weld County, Colorado," accessed September 26, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, “Voter Registration Numbers,” accessed September 26, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014