|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 120|
|2008 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Birthday||June 25, 1957|
Bennett attended the University of Southern Mississippi and Gulf Coast Junior College. Now retired, his professional experience includes working at DuPont.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Bennett served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Gaming, Chair|
|• Judiciary A|
|• Judiciary En Banc|
|• Local and Private Legislation|
|• Universities and Colleges|
|• Ways and Means|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Bennett served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Conservation and Water Resources|
|• Ports, Harbors and Airports|
|• Public Utilities|
On November 8, 2011, Bennett won re-election to District 120 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. He ran unopposed in the August 2 primary and defeated Charles Boggs in the November 8 general election.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 120 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Richard Bennett Incumbent||65.2%||3,486|
On November 6, 2007, Bennett was elected in District 120, defeating Democratic challenger Ed Hatem in the general election. He defeated Glenn Mitchell and Sam Holston in the primary election with 1,654 votes to 777 and 394 votes, respectively.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 120 (2007)|
|Richard Bennett (R)||2,913||60.37%|
|Ed Hatem (D)||1,912||39.63%|
|Richard Bennett (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|July Quarterly||July 10, 2012||$112,930.80||$32,561.06||$(145,459.77)||$32.09|
In 2011, Bennett received $30,170 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Richard Bennett's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi House Republican Conference||$2,000|
|Barksdale, James L||$1,000|
|Southeastern La Water & Sewer||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$30,170|
|Total Votes received in 2011||3,486|
|Cost of each vote received||$8.65|
In 2007, Bennett collected $43,033 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
|Mississippi Republican Party||$2,500|
|Mississippi Bankers Association||$2,000|
|Richard Bennett Alderman Campaign||$1,803|
|Mississippi Association of Realtors||$1,500|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Bennett has been a member of the Foreign Trade Zone, Gulf Coast Council of Governments, Hazard Mitigation Council, and Long Beach Drug Task Force.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Richard + Bennett + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Bennett
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2011 Primary Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Official 2011 General Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, 2007 Republican primary certification
- Federal Election Commission, "Richard Bennett Summary Report," accessed October 1, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly" accessed October 1, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "July Quarterly" accessed October 1, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 120
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |