is a 2011 Republican
candidate for District 13
of the Virginia State Senate
. He formerly served in the Virginia House of Delegates
from 1998 to 2006.
Black joined the Marines in 1963. After the Vietnam War, he served as a flight instructor and attended engineer school. He then graduated from the University of Florida in 1973 and earned his JD in 1976. He works as an attorney.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Black is running in the 2011 election for Virginia Senate District 13. The general election takes place on November 8, 2011. 
|Virginia State Senate Republican Primary, 2011
| Robert Fitzsimmonds
| John Stirrup
- Excerpt: "Jobs and the economy are the most pressing issues of our day. However, runaway spending and erratic policies of Democrats have made it difficult for businesses to expand and hire."
- Excerpt: "Transportation was my top priority during my eight years in Richmond. My most important legislation set the framework for building the Route 28 Freeway. I introduced HB735 and several other Rt. 28 bills in 2002. Our plan was to replace traffic lights with overpasses and to widen the road to eight lanes."
- Excerpt: "I believe in a smarter, more limited government. We should not increase the tax base by raising taxes but rather by supporting policies that unleash economic potential. The current high-tax approach can only harm the economy."
- Excerpt: "We can’t rely on hostile powers for America’s energy. However, the continental shelf—including Virginia’s coasts—holds vast reserves of domestic oil. I’ll work to develop off-shore oil supplies--and to allocate funds they generate for highway construction."
- Excerpt: "As a career prosecutor, I understand that justice requires fair trials and appropriate punishments. I have the experience necessary to make positive changes to keep our communities safe."
- Excerpt: "As the only combat-wounded veteran in the General Assembly, I used firearms in battle and understand their value more than most. I would not be here today were it not for a Winchester M-14 that I carried in the jungles of Vietnam, as a young Marine officer. I understand the importance of protecting our 2nd Amendment Rights."
- Life - Core Family Values
- Excerpt: "I am pro-life from conception and a supporter of traditional marriage."
Black and his wife Barbara have three children.