Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia Senate District 13|
|Virginia House District 32|
|Bachelor's||University of Florida|
|J.D.||University of Florida|
|Years of service||1963-1967|
Black joined the Marines in 1963. After the Vietnam War, he served as a flight instructor and attended engineer school. He then graduated from the University of Florida in 1973 and earned his JD in 1976. He works as an attorney.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Black is running in the 2011 election for Virginia Senate District 13. He and John Stirrup were defeated by Robert Fitzsimmonds in the primary on August 23, 2011. The general election takes place on November 8, 2011. 
- Jobs & Economy
- Excerpt: "Jobs and the economy are the most pressing issues of our day. However, runaway spending and erratic policies of Democrats have made it difficult for businesses to expand and hire."
- Excerpt: "Transportation was my top priority during my eight years in Richmond. My most important legislation set the framework for building the Route 28 Freeway. I introduced HB735 and several other Rt. 28 bills in 2002. Our plan was to replace traffic lights with overpasses and to widen the road to eight lanes."
- Excerpt: "I believe in a smarter, more limited government. We should not increase the tax base by raising taxes but rather by supporting policies that unleash economic potential. The current high-tax approach can only harm the economy."
- Excerpt: "We can’t rely on hostile powers for America’s energy. However, the continental shelf—including Virginia’s coasts—holds vast reserves of domestic oil. I’ll work to develop off-shore oil supplies--and to allocate funds they generate for highway construction."
- Excerpt: "As a career prosecutor, I understand that justice requires fair trials and appropriate punishments. I have the experience necessary to make positive changes to keep our communities safe."
- 2nd Amendment
- Excerpt: "As the only combat-wounded veteran in the General Assembly, I used firearms in battle and understand their value more than most. I would not be here today were it not for a Winchester M-14 that I carried in the jungles of Vietnam, as a young Marine officer. I understand the importance of protecting our 2nd Amendment Rights."
- Life - Core Family Values
- Excerpt: "I am pro-life from conception and a supporter of traditional marriage."
Black and his wife Barbara have three children.