|Virginia House of Delegates, District 50|
|High school||Paul Vi High School, 1993|
|Bachelor's||Virginia Commonwealth University, 1997|
|Profession||Community center director|
Cabellos earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Virginia Commonwealth University before working as a campaign Field Organizer. He then worked with a variety of non-profits focused on immigration and workers rights before starting work as the Director of the Southgate Community Center. Cabellos also attended the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership, graduating in 2004.
Cabellos’s website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Excerpt: "Kids who receive quality early childhood education are more successful in school, less likely to drop out and more likely to go on and attend college. Once our children reach the public school system they should be taught by teachers who have been given the tools and flexibility they need to make sure every child sees success. When our students graduate those that wish to attend a 2 or 4 year college should be able to do so and it should be affordable for all students regardless of their background. Additionally, we must support investment in trade schools and apprenticeship programs for students that wish to learn a trade or skill."
Excerpt: "Richard will fight to ensure that all Veterans have access to their earned benefits such as education and health care. Richard also supports programs that help Veterans find quality jobs when they return home as well as programs that offer additional training if a Veteran needs or wants to learn a new skill or trade."
- Equality and Diversity
Excerpt: "...Richard will fight for women’s rights, immigrant rights, workers rights, marriage equality, human rights, equal pay and equality in our housing market."
Excerpt: "Richard is committed to working with Legislators from either party to ensure that we make smart investments for the future such as increased public transportation to get cars off of our most congested roads and highways, smart growth strategies to make sure we don’t overload our transportation infrastructure and innovative transportation project funding methods."
Excerpt: "Fixing our transportation infrastructure, ensuring that we can provide a high quality education for every child and treating all people equally are all ways we can attract companies to Virginia. We must also make sure that Virginians are prepared for the job market of the future by making college affordable while also providing opportunities to learn a new trade or skill for those who wish to do so. Finally, we must support Virginia’s small businesses. Small businesses are the backbone of our local economy and we must make sure they have the tools and regulatory environment they need to succeed."
Cabellos ran in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 50. Cabellos ran unopposed in the June 11th Democratic Primary. He was defeated by incumbent Jackson H. Miller (R) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 50 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||Jackson H. Miller Incumbent||54.9%||9,498|
Incumbent Jackson H. Miller (R) ran unopposed in 2011 and easily defeated a Democratic challenger in 2009. However, this district swung from giving Governor Bob McDonnell (R) 63 percent of the vote in 2009 to giving President Barack Obama (D) 54 percent of the vote in 2012, catching the eye of some political observers ahead of 2013.
In 2013, Cabellos’s endorsements included the following:
- NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia PAC
Cabellos and his wife, Yolanda Reid-Cabellos, have one child. He lives in Manassas, VA.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Richard + Cabellos + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- Candidate Facebook page
- Candidate Twitter feed
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "2013 Official Candidates List for House of Delegates by District", Accessed July 11, 2013
- Richard Cabellos for Delegate, "About Richard Cabellos," accessed September 4, 2013
- Cabellos For Delegate - Facebook, "Info," accessed September 4, 2013
- Richard Cabellos for Delegate, "Richard On The Issues," accessed September 4, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- VPAP, "House of Delegates District 50," accessed October 3, 2013
- University of Virginia Center for Politics, Sabato's Crystal Ball, "Republicans Certain to Retain Control of Virginia House of Delegates," August 8, 2013
- NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia, "NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Announces Endorsement Of Richard Cabellos, House Of Delegates Candidate, District 50," August 19, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Richard Cabellos - Biography," accessed September 4, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |