was a Demcratic candidate
for District 41
of the Iowa State Senate
. The primary election
was on June 8, 2010 and the general election was on November 2
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2010
Clewell lost to Republican candidate Roby Smith by a margin of 13,865 to 9,432 in the November 2 general election. 
In the June 8 primary election, Clewell beat Dave Thede by a margin of 596 to 479. 
| Iowa State Senate, District 41 - Democratic Primary (2010)
| Richard Clewell
| Dave Thede
On his campaign website, Clewell states economic recovery and sustainability as his main priority if elected. 
- Job Creation - "...we need to deal with a projected shortage of skilled labor. Our trade unions, community colleges, and high schools are vital in making these skills available."
- Education- " If we want Iowa to have a strong and vibrant economy, we must make Iowa the destination for education."
- Healthcare - "The fact that 1 in 11 Iowans does not have health care insurance is a clear indication that the system is not working. We cannot wait for Washington to do what we must do now for our most vulnerable citizens..."
- Fiscal Accountability - "I believe...that both spending and revenues must be considered to achieve a balanced budget. The governors tax credit panel which did a cost-benefit analysis on how our tax dollars are being used to stimulate business growth is on the right track and we need to pursue this level of focus more broadly."