Richard La Salle
|Richard La Salle|
New York State Senate District 13
|Website||Campaign website Friends of Richard LaSalle|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
La Salle ran unopposed in the September 14 Republican primary. La Salle was defeated by incumbent Jose Peralta (D) in the general election on November 2. He ran as a member of the Republican, Conservative, and Independence parties.
LaSalle's campaign website lists four main issues:
- Introduce More Charter Schools into the Neighborhood to Increase the Quality of Education: "Studies have shown that by introducing charter schools into underserved neighborhoods, the PUBLIC schools get better because they become concerned that if their enrollment decreases dramatically, they will be shut down...Charter schools have been shown to increase student scores by 10 percentage points over time...If all of the schools better serve the students in the district, the drop-out rate of 60% will decrease, and we will stop the cycle of lost generations of students."
- Help Small Businesses in our Micro-Economy Thrive: " Small business is the engine that drives not only the U.S. economy, but the micro-market of central Queens... The problems faced by many small business owners include: a lack of access to business model information; uncertainty on how to navigate the myriad of taxes and insurances that have to be paid; and the inability to recognize an abusive commercial lease... If a Small Business Administration Office or a SCORE office is placed into the heart of a business area (i.e. Roosevelt Avenue, 82nd Street, Junction Boulevard, or Northern Boulevard), would-be entrepreneurs would have access to crucial information."
- Give the District a Good Cleaning: "The No. 7 elevated train tracks need to be painted black and fitted with old-fashioned lights, and all of the major sidewalks need to be power-washed on a regular basis. This creates a visually attractive neighborhood which will draw consumers from outside of our area to spend their discretionary income in our neighborhood. This will benefit the existing businesses, create demand for new businesses, and increase the value of commercial real-estate, thereby prompting the owners of these buildings to renovate them to attract more tenants."
- Enact Jessica’s Law: "Why? We must defend our children. It defies common sense that a child rapist would not get the same sentence as an adult rapist. Either crime is heinous, but it can be said that raping an innocent, helpless child is worse."
- BA English, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- JD, St. John’s University School of Law in Jamaica, Queens
"He opened his own law firm on May 5, 1995 on 82nd Street in Elmhurst, Queen...During these nineteen years of working within the Queens Community, he has helped thousands of immigrants receive their green cards and later their citizenship, as well as prevented their removal from the country. He has encouraged them to start businesses and purchase homes."
37-65 88th St. 2nd Fl.
- Campaign website
- Friends of Richard LaSalle
- Candidate twitter page
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official Project Vote Smart Biography
- New York 1 Noticias, "LaSalle presenta su ideología política para desbancar a Peralta," 9/24/2010