Difference between revisions of "Richard Morthland"
|Line 114:||Line 114:|
Revision as of 15:24, 25 January 2013
|Illinois House of Representatives District 71|
|January 12, 2011 - January 9, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|High school||Riverdale High School|
|Bachelor's||Black Hawk College|
|Profession||Adjunct professor, farmer|
Richard Morthland is a farmer, college professor, and former County Board member in Rock Island County, Illinois.
Morthland has a BA in Communications from St. Ambrose University, and a master’s degree in a communication-related field earned in Denver, Colorado.
Morthland is a member of the Black Hawk College Speakers Bureau and the Farm Bureau.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Morthland served on the following committees:
- Adoption Reform
- Appropriations-Higher Education
- Cities & Villages
- Counties & Townships
- Higher Education
- Public Utilities
- Veterans' Affairs
Morthland ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Illinois House of Representatives District 71. Morthland was unopposed in the March 20 Republican primary and was defeated by Mike Smiddy (D) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 71, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Richard Morthland Incumbent||47.9%||23,037|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 71 (2010)|
|Richard Morthland (R)||20,376||58.01%|
|Dennis Ahern (D)||14,750||41.99%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Morthland raised $377,128 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|House Republican Organization Of Illinois||$86,723|
|Illinois Republican Party||$59,740|
|Citizens To Elect Tom Cross||$57,250|
|Illinois Health Care Association||$32,219|
Morthland can be described as a conservative Republican. He opposed the Rock Island County Board's controversial pay raises  He is also opposed to the creation of new taxes in Illinois and an increase of any income taxes 
Morthland lives on a farm with his wife Betsey, to whom he has been married for 30 years. Both Morthlands are college professors who have travelled twice to the Czech Republic at their own expense to teach English to Czech children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Richard + Morthland + Illinois + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Illinois House of Representatives - Richard Morthland
- Morthland's campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Morthland's campaign facebook
- Richard Morthland campaign website
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed January 18, 2013
- Illinois Official 2010 General Election Results
- 2010 contributions
- WQAD, "Rock Island County Board Members getting pay raises", May 24, 2010.
- Chicago Tribune, "Editorial board endorsements"
Mike Boland (D)
|Illinois House of Representatives District 71
| Succeeded by|
Mike Smiddy (D)
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |