- Married 29 years to Wife, Betsey and growing stronger every day; a real love story. They have two great daughters, Eliza (27, Chicago) and Bethany (23, Moline), no grandkids. Rich is happy; Betsey is itchy for the pitter-patter of new little grandbaby feet. Betsey is an Assistant Professor of Health Information Management at Black Hawk College.
- College Professor: I teach for Black Hawk College, Scott Community College, and Ashford University in Clinton Iowa. Mostly Communication courses, but I also teach for the Philosophy Department at Ashford.
Self-Employed Farmer: Living on and operating my family’s farm in Coe Township. We run a 100 head cow herd, plus bulls, calves, and heifers.
- Rich: Messiah Lutheran Kindergarten, Mrs. Ziggler (1965); Riverdale School System, all 12 years (1977); Attended Black Hawk College (1985); BA, St. Ambrose University (1986); M.Div., Denver Seminary (1989); Currently Pursuing: M.A. Comm. Specialty: New Media, Spring Arbor University (Anticipated Completion, 2009).
Betsey: J. D. Darnell High School, Geneseo (1978); Attended Black Hawk College; BS, St. Ambrose University (2004); MS, Western Illinois University (2006); Currently Pursuing: Health Science Ph.D. in Global Epidemiology, Touro University.
- Community Service
- Rich is a member of the Black Hawk College Speakers Bureau. He travels in and around our area, portraying John Deere, without financial remuneration. Any proceeds benefit the Black Hawk College Foundation. Betsey is a member of the River Cities Rotary. Rich and Betsey are precinct committee persons for Coe and Cordova townships.
Rich and Betsey are members of the Farm Bureau and have been so for decades. They were active in the Young Farmers and served as the County Chair, which also made him a Farm Bureau Board member. He am still a featured speaker for the annual Ag Xperience where the Rock Island County Young Farmers teach Quad City area schoolchildren about farming and rural life. Rich served as an agriculture citizen lobbyist in both Springfield and Washington, D.C., where incidentally, he met and fell in love with Betsey on the lawn of the Rose Garden of the White House (true story). They were key volunteers for the Red Cross when Hillsdale flooded due to an ice jam a few years ago. Betsey has also been a volunteer Red Cross Instructor. Betsey has been a Meals on Wheels volunteer. The Morthlands have been active not only locally, but also globally. Twice, they have used their summer vacations as college professors to travel to the Czech Republic at their own expense and serve as English teachers to Czech youth. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the dissolution of Czechoslovakia, the Czech Republic has been an amazing friend of America. They have made many good acquaintances in Central Europe!
- We lived in Denver for 8 years where I earned my first Master’s degree and enjoyed a successful radio career. Other than that, I’ve lived every day of my life here on the Coe Township, rural Cordova farm that my ancestor homesteaded in 1842. We built a home here in 1995, no plans to move… ever. We receive excellent service from our Coe Township government, the Cordova and Hillsdale Fire Protection Districts, and our beloved and much utilized Cordova Library District.