Richard Stuart, Virginia Senator
|Virginia Senate District 28|
|2008 - Present|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Bachelor's||Virginia Wesleyan College|
|J.D.||T.C. Williams School of Law|
|Place of birth||Fredericksburg, VA|
Stuart received a B.A. at Virginia Wesleyan College and a J.D. at T.C. Williams School of Law. Stuart is an attorney at law.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Stuart served on the following committees:
- Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources
- Commerce and Labor Committee
- Courts of Justice
- General Laws and Technology
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Stuart served on the following committees:
Stuart’s website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "He is committed to recruiting and retaining the best teachers so that our children can excel. Public education is the backbone of our community."
- Excerpt: "As our State Senator, Richard Stuart will deliver the resources to congested areas in Stafford that we deserve, and fight to maintain the rural character of the Northern Neck while improving traffic mobility and safety."
- Smart Growth
- Excerpt: "As our State Senator, Richard Stuart will use his experience as a land use attorney to reduce sprawl and maintain the character of our communities and our quality of life."
- Safe Communities
- Excerpt: "As a former prosecutor, Richard Stuart will work hard as our State Senator to strengthen our judicial system, and enact laws to keep our streets and communities safe."
- Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "As our State Senator, Richard Stuart will not support the use of a single taxpayer dollar being spent on services for those here illegally, including in-state college tuition. In addition, he will support an agreement between the State Police and Immigration and Customs Enforcement to give a certain number of troopers expanded immigration enforcement capabilities to include arresting undocumented individuals. Our government should not reward or encourage illegal behavior."
- Excerpt: "Richard is a strong conservationist who is committed to cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay and other area waterways, as well as maintaining the health of our forests and farms."
- 2nd Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "...Richard is a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment.
- Defend Virginia Values
- Excerpt: "Richard Stuart believes in the sanctity of life and, as your state senator, will vote pro-life. He believes in the public display of the Ten Commandments because it is the very foundation of our law in this country, and he also supports the right to pray in public."
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2007
Stuart raised $1,139,583 for his campaign while Pollard raised $1,215,127.
|Virginia State Senate, District 28 (2007)|
|Richard Stuart (R)||21,496||50.61%|
|Albert Pollard (D)||20,896||49.20%|
In 2011, Stuart received $191,438 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Richard Stuart, Virginia Senator's campaign in 2011|
|Quantico Business Center LLC||$8,500|
|Virginia Trial Lawyers Association||$6,500|
|Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association||$5,500|
|Virginia Senate Republican Caucus||$4,897|
|Allen Allen Allen & Allen||$3,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$191,438|
Below are Stuart's top five campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|Virginia Senate Republican Leadership Trust||$568,740|
|Republican State Leadership Committee||$62,426|
|John Chichester for Senate||$40,000|
|Republican Party of Virginia||$38,802|
|Ryan McDougle for Virginia||$36,000|
Stuart was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia on January 6, 1964.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Richard + Stuart + Virginia + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sen. Stuart's website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2007
|Virginia Senate District 28
| Succeeded by|