|Iowa State Senate District 49|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 10, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Northern Iowa|
|Master's||University of Iowa|
Hart earned her Bachelor's from the University of Northern Iowa and her Master's in Educational Administration. Her professional experience includes working as a teacher and a farmer.
Hart's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"Iowa must invest in our children’s future by recruiting, retaining, and rewarding teachers and administrators who maximize student achievement."
- Excerpt:"As Iowa redesigns the state’s mental health and disability service system, we must focus on increasing in-home and community settings over institutional care."
Workforce Development, Economy
- Excerpt:"Working together with small businesses, family farms and local manufacturers, we must foster an emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) courses and produce workers with the skills needed to revive and strengthen local and regional economies."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hart served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Economic Growth/Rebuild Iowa|
|• Local Government|
|• Veterans Affairs|
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Iowa State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Rita Hart was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Brian Schmidt was unopposed in the Republican primary. Hart faced Schmidt in the general election. Incumbent Hart defeated Schmidt in the general election.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Hart ran in the 2012 election for Iowa State Senate District 49. Hart defeated Dorothy O'Brien in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012. Hart defeated Andrew Naeve (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa State Senate, District 49, General Election, 2012|
|Iowa State Senate, District 49 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Hart is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Hart raised a total of $387,409 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Rita Hart's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State Senate, District 49||$387,409|
|Grand Total Raised||$387,409|
2012Hart won election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Hart raised a total of $387,409.
|Iowa State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Rita Hart's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Senate Majority Fund||$289,921|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$21,017|
|Food & Commercial Workers District 431||$10,000|
|Quad City Federation of Labor||$5,000|
|Laborers Local 309||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$387,409|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Rita and her husband, Paul, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Rita + Hart + Iowa + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sen. Hart's website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Rita Hart on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- ritahart.org, "Official Campaign Website," accessed April 8, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- The Des Moines Register, "Election2014," accessed November 5, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Hart, Rita," accessed September 19, 2013
Hubert Houser (R)
|Iowa State Senate District 49
| Succeeded by|