Roanoke County Public Schools, Virginia
|Roanoke County |
|Roanoke County, Virginia|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Lorraine Lange|
|Number of schools:||27|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
About the districtRoanoke County, Virginia. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Roanoke County is home to 92,376 residents.
In terms of graduation rate and poverty rate, Roanoke County overperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 90.4% compared to 86.6% statewide. Roanoke had a poverty rate of 5.8%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%. In regards to average household income, Roanoke County underperformed, $62,895 compared to $63,302 in the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
The current superintendent of Roanoke County Public Schools is Dr. Lorraine Lange. Since starting her teaching career in 1969, she has held the positions of assistant principal, principal, supervisor of language arts K-12, associate director of instruction, assistant superintendent of instruction, deputy superintendent of instruction and her current position of superintendent. She was named the 2012 Virginia Superintendent of the Year.
The Roanoke County School Board is comprised of five members selected by district.
|Roanoke County School Board|
|Jerry L. Canada||Chair||Hollins||2017|
|C. Drew Barrineau||Vice Chair||Windsor Hills||2017|
|H. Odell "Fuzzy" Minnix||Member||Cave Spring||2015|
|Michael W. Stovall||Member||Vinton||2017|
|David M. Wymer||Member||Catawba||2015|
School board elections
Three seats on the Roanoke County Public School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Those seats were for magisterial districts Hollins, Vinton and Windsor Hills. Two seats will be up for election in November 2015.
Roanoke County Public Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
In the table below, years marked with an asterisk note that the school board froze all salaries in response to national, state and local economic conditions. Two asterisks notes that the school board extended the teacher work day to 7 hours 20 minutes and approved a 2% contract adjustment.
|Roanoke County Public Schools Teacher Salary Scale 2013-2014|
|Year||Bachelor's Degree Minimum ($)||Bachelor's Degree Maximum ($)||Master's Degree Minimum ($)||Master's Degree Maximum ($)||Doctorate Degree Minimum ($)||Doctorate Degree Maximum ($)|
Schools in Roanoke County
Roanoke County Public Schools operates 27 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Roanoke County Public Schools|
|Back Creek Elementary School|
|Bonsack Elementary School|
|Burlington Elementary School|
|Burton Center for Arts & Technology|
|Cave Spring Elementary School|
|Cave Spring High School|
|Cave Spring Middle School|
|Clearbrook Elementary School|
|Fort Lewis Elementary School|
|Glen Cove Elementary School|
|Glenvar Elementary School|
|Glenvar High School|
|Glenvar Middle School|
|Green Valley Elementary School|
|Herman L. Horn Elementary School|
|Hidden Valley High School|
|Hidden Valley Middle School|
|Masons Cove Elementary School|
|Mount Pleasant Elementary School|
|Mountain View Elementary School|
|Northside High School|
|Northside Middle School|
|Oak Grove Elementary School|
|Penn Forest Elementary School|
|W.E.Cundiff Elementary School|
|William Byrd High School|
|William Byrd Middle School|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Roanoke County Public Schools as having a student population of 14,793 and 27 schools in the division.
Roanoke County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Back Creek Elementary||Pre-K - 5||292||Yes|
|Bonsack Elementary||Pre-K - 5||456||Yes|
|Burlington Elementary||Pre-K - 5||465||Yes|
|Cave Spring Elementary||Pre-K - 5||464||Yes|
|Cave Spring High||9 - 12||862||Yes|
|Cave Spring Middle||6 - 8||610||Yes|
|Clearbrook Elementary||Pre-K - 5||256||Yes|
|Fort Lewis Elementary||Pre-K - 5||242||Yes|
|Glen Cove Elementary||Pre-K - 5||452||Yes|
|Glenvar Elementary||Pre-K - 5||369||Yes|
|Glenvar High||9 - 12||657||Yes|
|Glenvar Middle||6 - 8||404||Yes|
|Green Valley Elementary||Pre-K - 5||388||Yes|
|Herman L. Horn Elementary||Pre-K - 5||427||Yes|
|Hidden Valley High||9 - 12||1,167||Yes|
|Hidden Valley Middle||6 - 8||762||Yes|
|Mason's Cove Elementary||Pre-K - 5||197||Yes|
|Mount Pleasant Elementary||Pre-K - 5||328||Yes|
|Mountain View Elementary||Pre-K - 5||482||Yes|
|Northside High||9 – 12||1,026||Yes|
|Oak Grove Elementary||Pre-K - 5||570||Yes|
|Penn Forest Elementary||7 - 8||572||Yes|
|W.E. Cundiff Elementary||Pre-K - 5||494||Yes|
|William Byrd High||9 – 12||1,184||Yes|
|William Byrd Middle||6 - 8||911||No|
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on August 3, 2010.
- The Roanoke County Public Schools 2010-2011 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue, is available. Budget development information and previous budgets are also posted.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- School board meeting dates and agendas are available.
- Academic performance and Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) information is available.
- The 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report is available on the division website.
- Teacher salary and benefits information is posted on the division website.
- Section 8: School-Community Relations of the Roanoke County School Board Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Meeting minutes are not available.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Current teacher and vendor contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- School board elections portal
- Roanoke County Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Roanoke County Public Schools
- Virginia Department of Education
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association
- United States Census, "Quick Facts: Roanoke County," accessed September 24, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 24, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Meet the New Superintendent - Dr. Lorraine S. Lange Accessed September 24, 2013
- Superintendent - Dr. Lorraine Lange Accessed September 24, 2013
- School Board Accessed September 24, 2013
- Roanoke County Public Schools, "Budget 2013-2014," accessed December 3, 2013
- Roanoke County Teacher Base Salaries" Accessed September 24, 2013
- Schools Accessed September 24, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Roanoke County Public Schools, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, Budget/Finance, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, Administrative Staff, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, School Board, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, Board Docs, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, Standards of Learning Resources, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, Budget/Finance, July 21, 2010
- ‘Roanoke County Public Schools’, Personnel, July 21, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010