|Maryland State Senate District 15|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||10|
|Majority Leader, Maryland State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Rutgers University, 1994|
|J.D.||George Washington University, 2001|
|Birthday||September 5, 1972|
|Place of birth||Warren, MI|
Robert Garagiola has been a Democratic member of the Maryland State Senate since January 8, 2003. He currently serves as Majority Leader. Garagiola was a 2012 Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House representing the 6th Congressional District of Maryland. Garagiola was defeated by John Delaney in the Democratic primary on April 3, 2012.
Garagiola earned his Bachelors Degree in political science at Rutgers University in 1994. Garagiola earned his Juris Doctor at George Washington University Law School in 2001.
From 1995 to 2001 Garagiola served in the U.S. Army Reserves earning a parachutist badge in 2000, and a medal of commendation in 2001.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Garagiola served on these committees:
- Access to Mental Health Services
- Executive Nominations
- Federal Relations
- Health Care Delivery and Financing, Chair
- Information Technology and Biotechnology
- Spending Affordability
- Subcommittee on Health, Chair
- Subcommittee on Transportation
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Garagiola served on these committees:
- Health Care Delivery & Financing (Senate Chair)
- Federal Relations
- Joint Oversight Committee on the Department of Juvenile Services
- Access to Mental Health Services
- Joint Legislative Work Group to Study State, County and Municipal Fiscal Relationships
- Information Technology & Biotechnology
Garagiola represents Maryland Senate District 15. District 15 includes Montgomery County.
In the 2011 session, Garagiola proposed a tax package that would add $400 to $600 million per year into the transportation trust fund. He also proposed a constitutional amendment to put the money in a "lockbox"so it can't be used for other purposes, according to a MarylandReporter.com article. 
Garagiola was endorsed by the SEIU on December 21, 2011. The organization Greater Greater Washington has also endorsed Garagiola in the race for the 6th district.  Garagiola was endorsed by other noteworthy organizations League of Conservation Voters, the Sierra Club, as well as MoveOn.org and numerous labor unions. The organization Progressive Maryland has endorsed Garagiola in the race for Roscoe Bartlett's seat in the 6th district.  Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley endorsed Garagiola for the primary on March 29, 2012.
Garagiola ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Maryland's 6th District. Garagiola sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket, but he was defeated by John Delaney in the April 3, 2012 primary.
|U.S. House of Representatives-Maryland District 6 Democratic Primary, 2012|
- See also: Maryland State Senate elections, 2010
In the September 14 primary election, Garagiola ran unopposed. 
|Maryland State Senate, District 15 (2010) General Election|
|Robert Garagiola (D)||25,648||63.8%|
|Dwight Patel (R)||14,570||36.2%|
Garagiola raised $193,471 for his campaign.
|Maryland Senate, District 15|
|Robert Garagiola (D)||27,788||65.8%|
|Bill Askinazi (R)||14,448||34.2%|
In 2010, a year in which Garagiola was up for re-election, he raised $212,107 in donations.
His four largest contributors in 2010 were:
|First Colonies Anesthesia Associates||$5,500|
|Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters Association Local 1664||$4,250|
|Service Employees Dc & Maryland State Council 54||$4,000|
In 2006 Robert Garagiola collected $193,471 in donations. 
His four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Maryland Trial Lawyers Association||$6,500|
|Marylanders for Mike Miller||$6,000|
|Maryland Realtors Association||$5,350|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Robert + Garagiola + Maryland + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Robert+Garagiola+Maryland+Senate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Robert Garagiola News Feed
Garagiola and his wife Cindy live in Germantown, MD with their 3 children.
- Senator Rob Garagiola's website
- Official Maryland State Senate website
- Project Vote Smart summary
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- State Surge profile - legislative and voting track record
- Campaign website
- Facebook page
- Flickr page
- Twitter account
- YouTube channel
- Maryland State Board of Elections "Primary Election Results 2012" Accessed April 3, 2012
- Robert Garagiola, Maryland State Senator
- Maryland Juice "PHOTO: SEIU Endorses State Senator Rob Garagiola in MD 6th Congressional District" Accessed March 12, 2012
- Greater Greater Washington "For Maryland 6th Congressional district: Rob Garagiola" Accessed March 23, 2012
- Rob Garagiola for Congress "Endorsements" Accessed March 23, 2012
- Hometown Annapolis "Maryland gets C on Transparency" Accessed March 26, 2012
- Progressive Maryland "2012 Candidates" Accessed March 26, 2012
- Washington Post "Md Governor OMalley endorses Garagiola for Congress 5 days before the primary" Accessed March 29, 2012
- The Baltimore Sun "6th District candidates spar over jobs" Accessed January 6, 2012
- Maryland State Board of Elections "2012 Primary Results"
- Maryland General Election Results
- Maryland Primary Election Results
- Maryland State Senate official election results for 2006
- Follow the Money's report on Garagiola's 2006 campaign contributions
- Maryland 2010 campaign contributions, Follow the Money
- 2006 contributors to Robert Garagiola
- Vote Smart Biography of Robert Garagiola
|Maryland Senate District 15
| Succeeded by|