|U.S. House, North Carolina, District 9|
|January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Predecessor||Sue Wilkins Myrick (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|North Carolina Senate|
|High school||McCallum High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Texas at Austin|
|Date of birth||August 15, 1948|
|Place of birth||Dallas, Texas|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Analysis
- 7 Recent news
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Prior to his election into the House Pittenger founded and ran the Robert Pittenger Investment Company.
Based on analysis of multiple outside rankings, Pittenger is an average Republican member of Congress, meaning he will vote with the Republican Party on the majority of bills.
Born in Texas, his father was a lawyer and real estate agent while his mother stay at home raising him and his siblings. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with degrees in Psychology and Political Science. During his work with Campus Crusade for Christ, he traveld around the world to promote their work. In 1985, he and his wife moved to Charlotte, to raise their family.
- 1989-present: Owner, Robert Pittenger Co.
- 1970-1985: Assistant to the president, Campus Crusade for Christ
Pittenger serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
- Subcommittee on Monetary Policy and Trade
Pittenger ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing North Carolina's 9th District. Pittenger ran as a Republican candidate. The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was February 29, 2012. Pittenger faced Dan Barry, Andy Dulin, Ken Leonczyk, Jim Pendergraph, Michael Steinberg, Michael Shaffer, Jon Gauthier, Edwin Peacock, and Ric Killian in the May 8, 2012 Republican primary. He then defeated Jim Pendergraph in the July 17 primary runoff election. He faced Jim Pendergraph (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
The Washington Post listed the House of Representatives elections in North Carolina in 2012 as one of the states that could have determined whether Democrats retook the House or Republicans held their majority in 2013. North Carolina was rated 8th on the list.
General election results
|U.S. House, North Carolina District 9 General Election, 2012|
|Source: North Carolina State Board of Elections "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
The primary took place on May 8, 2012.
Comprehensive donor information for Pittenger is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Pittenger raised a total of $3,310,422 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 16, 2013.
|Robert Pittenger's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||U.S. House (North Carolina, District 9)||$3,310,422|
|Grand Total Raised||$3,310,422|
|U.S. House of Representatives, North Carolina's 9th Congressional District, 2012 - Robert Pittenger Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$599,757|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$599,487|
|Top contributors to Robert Pittenger's campaign committee|
|Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance||$13,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Pittenger missed 7 of 108 roll call votes from Jan 2013 to Apr 2013, which is 6.5% of votes during that period. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Pittenger's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $18,615,005 to $48,551,997. That averages to $33,583,501, which is higher than the average net worth of Republican House members in 2011 of $7,859,232.
Percentage voting with party
Robert Pittenger voted with the Republican Party 94.1% of the time, which ranked 111 among the 234 House Republican members as of June 2013.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Robert + Pittenger + North Carolina + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Social media:
- Congressional profile at CongressMerge.com
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Financial information at OpenSecrets.org
- Issue positions and quotes at On The Issues
- Politico "2012 Election Map, North Carolina"
- "Center For Responsive Politics" Open Secrets "Top Self Funders" Accessed June 25, 2013
- National Journal "North Carolina, 9th House District: Robert Pittenger (R)," November 6, 2012
- CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- North Carolina State Board of Elections "Primary Election Results" Accessed May 9, 2012.
- Washington Post "The 10 states that will determine control of the House in 2012" Accessed April 25, 2012
- WCNC.com "Pittenger passes $3 million mark in fundraising" Accessed October 17, 2012
- North Carolina State Board of Elections "2012 Primary Results" Accessed October 10, 2012
- Open Secrets "Robert Pittenger" Accessed May 16, 2013
- Open Secrets "Robert Pittenger 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 4, 2013
- GovTrack, "Robert Pittenger" Accessed April 2013
- OpenSecrets.org "Robert Pittenger (R-NC), 2011," accessed February 21, 2013
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed July 2014
Sue Wilkins Myrick
|U.S. House of Representatives - North Carolina District 9
| Succeeded by|