Iowa State Senate, District 41
|Profession||Small business owner|
Smith, whose earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Concordia University, is a small business owner in Bettendorf. He is an Eagle Scout recipient and attends Trinity Lutheran Church with his wife, Kari, and their three children.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2010
On his campaign website, Smith lists his positions on:
- "Iowa needs to be more business friendly to encourage job growth."
- "Reduce burdens and taxes on small businesses."
- "Jobs are created by entrepreneurs, not government bureaucrats."
- "Taxes should not be increased to balance the budget."
- "Stop residential property tax increases."
- "Lower commercial property taxes to be competitive with surrounding states."
- "Start requiring that all lines of pork barrel spending have a recorded vote so that it cannot sneak through hidden in a 200 page piece of legislation."
- "Have a pay-as-you-go approach to state debt. The state should pay for new buildings with cash and not go into debt."
- "Grow employment opportunities by not increasing taxes."
- "Stop raising property taxes to balance the budge. People should keep more of what they earn because they will save, spend, and invest those additional dollars, promoting freedom and responsibility, raising our standard of living, and benefiting the economy for us all."
- "A strong education system is critical to the long-term success of our community. Education is the foundation upon which our economy, our government, and our community is built. We cannot let that foundation crumble."
- "We must do more to ensure Iowa can attract and retain teachers who are qualified."
- "We must implement strategies to reduce the administrative burdens on school districts and school district personnel, especially teachers."
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found