|Iowa State Senate, District 41|
| Assumed office|
January 10, 2011
| Current term ends|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Smith, whose earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Concordia University, is a small business owner in Bettendorf. He is an Eagle Scout recipient and attends Trinity Lutheran Church with his wife, Kari, and their three children.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2010
|Iowa State Senate, District 41 (2010) General Election|
|Roby Smith (R)||13,865||32.4%|
|Richard Clewell (D)||9,432||67.6%|
|Iowa State Senate, District 23 - Republican Primary (2010)|
Across the country in 2010, state senate elections were held in 43 states. 1,167 state senate seats were at stake. In all 1,167 state senate districts with an election in 2010, only 19 challengers (12 Democrats and 7 Republicans) defeated an incumbent state senator. Smith is one of the 7 Republican challengers who defeated an incumbent Republican state senator.
On his campaign website, Smith lists his positions on:
- "Iowa needs to be more business friendly to encourage job growth."
- "Reduce burdens and taxes on small businesses."
- "Jobs are created by entrepreneurs, not government bureaucrats."
- "Taxes should not be increased to balance the budget."
- "Stop residential property tax increases."
- "Lower commercial property taxes to be competitive with surrounding states."
- "Start requiring that all lines of pork barrel spending have a recorded vote so that it cannot sneak through hidden in a 200 page piece of legislation."
- "Have a pay-as-you-go approach to state debt. The state should pay for new buildings with cash and not go into debt."
- "Grow employment opportunities by not increasing taxes."
- "Stop raising property taxes to balance the budge. People should keep more of what they earn because they will save, spend, and invest those additional dollars, promoting freedom and responsibility, raising our standard of living, and benefiting the economy for us all."
- "A strong education system is critical to the long-term success of our community. Education is the foundation upon which our economy, our government, and our community is built. We cannot let that foundation crumble."
- "We must do more to ensure Iowa can attract and retain teachers who are qualified."
- "We must implement strategies to reduce the administrative burdens on school districts and school district personnel, especially teachers."
- Iowa State Senate - Sen. Roby Smith
- Results for the November 2, 2010 general election, Iowa
- Roby Smith for State Senate campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Results for the June 8, 2010 primary in Iowa
|Iowa Senate District 41
| Succeeded by|