|Rodward Hewlin, Jr.|
|General election||November 4, 2014|
|U.S. House, North Carolina, District 1|
|Bachelor's||North Carolina A&T State University (2008)|
|Master's||North Carolina A&T State University|
|Birthday||July 17, 1986|
|Place of birth||Rocky Mount, North Carolina|
Hewlin was born in Rocky Mount, NC. He attended North Carolina A&T State University. He received both an undergraduate and graduate degree in mechanical engineering.
Hewlin is running for election to the U.S. House, representing the 1st Congressional District of North Carolina. Hewlin is seeking the Democratic nomination in the primary, where he will face incumbent Rep. G.K. Butterfield. On his campaign website, Hewlin states, "I like Mr. Butterfield as a person, but I believe 10 years in Congress and little growth in our area speaks with volume." The general election takes place November 4, 2014. 
Hewlin's campaign website provides his stance on the following issues:
- Education: "Congress should prioritize the education of our nation’s children so that they are prepared for the 21st century, global economy. Congress should provide leadership and support for local school boards, teachers, parents, and students instead of instituting national tests that limit our children’s potential by wasting time and energy on test preparation. We need to support programs that will reward innovation and creativity and allow students to develop problem-solving skills necessary for success."
- Jobs and the Economy: "Congress can do more to encourage business and job growth – starting with creating a stable environment for business planning. Estimated at a cost to the taxpayers of over $24 billion dollars, the recent government shutdown also had a serious detrimental effect on our local economy, still struggling to recover from recession... I would work hard with colleagues to avoid any political gamesmanship that results in hurting North Carolinians by bringing our economy to a halt. Common sense, bi-partisan solutions can remove economic hurdles facing our communities."
- National Debt: "We need to send new leaders to Washington who are willing to work together to find solutions to our nation’s toughest problems. The first step is to cut the deficit. We need to streamline government and be sure that we are spending tax dollars effectively and efficiently. Instead of shutting down the government and halting economic growth, we need to come together to agree on a set of principles that will protect the futures of our children, families and seniors, and leave the next generation better off. We also need to address tax loopholes that encourage U.S. companies to ship jobs overseas, subsidies for oil companies who are making record profits, and the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 1%. I will oppose any budget proposal that balances the budget on the backs of seniors and our children. We must hold strong for those who built this great nation so that the promise of Social Security and Medicare is never broken."
- Military and Veterans: "We need to support our military personnel domestically and abroad, and to be sure that our veterans and their families receive the benefits they have earned through their service to our country."
- Environment: "We live in one of the most beautiful states in our country. We have an obligation not only to maintain, but to also to preserve our mountains, coasts, farms and fields for future generations of North Carolinians to enjoy."
- Women’s Health Care: "I believe that a woman's health care options and decisions should be between a woman and her doctor. I will stand up to extremists in Washington who seem to think that government has a right to dictate a woman's health care decisions."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Rodward + Hewlin + North Carolina + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- North Carolina's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
- North Carolina's 1st Congressional District
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |