|U.S. House, Maryland, District 6|
|January 3, 1993-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||21|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 3, 1992|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Columbia Union College|
|Master's||University of Maryland|
|Ph.D.||University of Maryland|
|Birthday||June 3, 1926|
|Place of birth||Moreland, KY|
According to a March 2012 article in Roll Call, Bartlett is one of the top 10 most vulnerable incumbents.
Bartlett was born in 1926 in Moreland, KY. He earned his B.S. from Columbia Union College and both his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in 1947, 1948, and 1952, respectively. Prior to his political career, Bartlett worked as a professor of anatomy, physiology, and zoology at the University of Maryland and Howard University College of Medicine.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Bartlett's political career:
- U.S. House of Representatives, 6th Congressional District of Maryland, 1993-Present
U.S. House of Representatives
Bartlett serves on the following House committees:
- Armed Services Committee
- Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces Chairman
- Subcommittee on Seapower and Expeditionary Forces
- Subcommittee on Agriculture, Energy and Trade
- Subcommittee on Energy and Environment
- Subcommittee on Research and Science Education
A Washington Post investigation in February 2012 revealed that 33 members of Congress helped direct more than $300 million in earmarks to public projects in close proximity to commercial and residential real estate owned by the lawmakers or their family members. According to the report, Bartlett, has helped secure about $4.5 million toward improving Interstate 270 and Buckeystown Pike. From there, Buckeystown Pike leads south and west to Bartlett's home, his farm and rental properties that earn the lawmaker up to $150,000 a year.
Bartlett is running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Maryland's 6th District. Bartlett is seeking re-election on the Republican ticket.  The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was January 11, 2012. Bartlett defeated David Brinkley, Robert Coblentz, Robin Ficker, Joseph Krysztoforski, Brandon Rippeon, Kathy Afzali, and Peter James in the Republican primary on April 3, 2012. He faces Democratic challenger John Delaney and Nickolaus Mueller (L) in the November 6, 2012 general election.
According to a March 30, 2012 article from The Washington Post, that notes the top 10 incumbents who could lose their primaries, Bartlett is the 8th most likely incumbent to lose his primary. Bartlett faces significant competition from seven competitors and a newly re-drawn district after redistricting in the Republican primary. with the most competition coming from contenders state senator David Brinkley and state delegate Kathy Afzali.
Bartlett won election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Bartlett's campaign committee raised a total of $283,046 and spent $367,098.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Maryland's 6th Congressional District, 2010 - Roscoe Bartlett Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$45,905|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$45,905|
|Top contributors to Roscoe Bartlett's campaign committee|
|Tuesday Group PAC||$10,000|
|Beau Boulter LLC||$9,600|
|European Aeronautic Defence & Space||$7,900|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Bartlett has been married to his wife, Ellen, for more over forty five years. They have ten children, seventeen grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Maryland State Board of Elections "Primary Election Results 2012" Accessed April 3, 2012
- Roll Call "Top 10 Vulnerable: Targets on Their Backs," March 16, 2012
- Gov Track "Bartlett" Accessed May 25, 2012
- Biographical Guide to Members of Congress "Roscoe Bartlett" Accessed December 1, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "House of Representatives Committee Assignments" Accessed December 1, 2011
- Washington Post "Congressional earmarks sometimes used to fund projects near lawmakers' properties," February 6, 2012
- Washington Post "Mapping the earmarks," February 6, 2012
- Roll Call "Duncan, Shriver Among Names Floated in Maryland" Accessed January 6, 2012
- The Washingotn Post "The next Jean Schmidt? The top 10 House incumbents who could lose their primaries" Accessed April 1, 2012
- Maryland State Board of Elections "2012 Primary Results"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed November 29, 2011
- Open Secrets "Roscoe Bartlett 2010 Re-Election Cycle," Accessed November 29, 2011
- Official House Site "Biography," Accessed December 1, 2011
|U.S. House of Representatives - Maryland District 6
| Succeeded by|