Saline School District Bond Measure (February 2011)
This will be the second attempt by the school district to get approval of a bond, the previous attempt in August 2010 failed. This measure is asking for a smaller bond amount than the previous attempt, $22 million in additional money for the school. The money from this bond would be used to help make improvement on school buildings and facilities. School officials scaled back the previous plan, making the bond amount smaller in hopes that it will have a better chance of passing. School officials are planning to hold public forums for residents to learn more about the bond and what the school's plans are.
At one of the informational meetings, residents noted that they did not understand what the money would be used for and why the question is being asked again so soon after it was defeated. Though it was also stated that the millage rate would not increase if this is approved, the rate would just stay the same for a longer period of time. The superintendent stated that around 74 percent of the bond money would go towards improvements in the district such as upgrades to energy efficiency, building improvements and road projects around the school to help with traffic. At east 12 new school buses would also be bought with the remainder of the bond money.
The Mayor Pro-tem Brian Marl and the Saline Area Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Larry Osterling both came out in support of this measure noting that it is a good investment in the community and upgrading facilities to keep up with technology is always a good thing. It was noted that having strong schools which can compete helps ensures a vibrant and healthy community.
- AnnArbor.com, Saline schools will ask voters to pass revamped school bond in special election in February," November 24, 2010
- AnnArbor.com, "Saline Area Schools announces two community forums on bond proposal set for February vote," January 3, 2011
- AnnArbor.com, "Saline school board gets questions, update on February bond proposal," January 12, 2011
- AnnArbor.com, "Saline Area Schools officials present proposed $22 million bond extension for facilities, infrastructure," February 1, 2011
- The Saline Reporter, "SALINE: Community leaders endorse request for school bond extension," January 18, 2011