Samuel Smith (Pennsylvania)
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Pennsylvania State House District 66|
|1997 - Present|
|November, 30 2012|
|Years in position||17|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Pennsylvania State University, 1978|
|Place of birth||Punxsutawney, PA|
Smith earned his BA in Journalism from Pennsylvania State University in 1978. He has worked in the following positions: Roofing Contractor, Pennsylvania Department of Revenue employee, and Advertising Sales.
Smith joined the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 1987. He has served in that position since, representing the 66th District, and served as Minority Floor Leader before his election to Speaker of the House.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Smith has been appointed to these committees:
- Legislative Office for Research Liaison
- Legislative Data Processing
- State Government Commission
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Smith served on these committees:
Smith is running in the 2012 election for Pennsylvania House District 66. Smith faces James Brown and Cris Dush in the Republican primary on April 24. No Democratic candidates have filed to run for the seat. The general election takes place on November 6, 2012.
Smith won re-election to the 66th District Seat in 2010. He was unopposed in the May 18 Republican primary and defeated Democrat Dennis Peck and independent Luther Yoas, Sr. in the general election on November 2, 2010.
|Pennsylvania State House, District 66|
|Samuel Smith (R)||11,562||67.9%|
|Dennis Peck (D)||3,620||21.3%|
|Luther Yoas, Sr. (I)||1,844||10.8%|
|Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 66|
|Sam Smith (R)||15,504||67.5%|
|Samy Elmasry (D)||7,476||32.5%|
In 2010, Smith received $371,190 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Pennsylvania House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Samuel Smith (Pennsylvania)'s campaign in 2010|
|Pennsylvania Future Fund||$25,000|
|Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society||$20,000|
|Agras, James R||$20,000|
|Jewish Community PAC Of Pittsburgh||$15,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$371,190|
Smith and his wife, Donna, have two children.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Rep. Smith
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- "State House Elects Sam Smith as Speaker," Pennsylvania Independent, JANUARY 4, 2011
- "Republican Caucus Chooses Smith, Turzai, Saylor as New House Leaders," Pennsylvania Independent, November 9, 2010
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2012 Primary Candidate List In Ballot Order," March 26, 2012
- 2010 general election results from the Pennsylvania Secretary of State's office
- Official 2008 state house election results from the Pennsylvania Department of State
- Follow the Money - 2010 donations
|Pennsylvania House Of Representatives District 66
| Succeeded by|
State of Pennsylvania
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Secretary of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor & Industry | Chairman of Public Utilities |