San Francisco George Bush Sewage Plant, Proposition R (November 2008)
Proposition R attracted national attention, including articles in the New York Times and Washington Post.
If Proposition R had passed, it would have re-named the city's Oceanside Treatment Plant as the George W. Bush Sewage Plant. The group supporting the initiative called itself the Presidential Memorial Commission of San Francisco.
John Rinaldi, a co-sponsor of the petition who ran unsuccessfully for San Francisco mayor in 2007 using his nickname, "Chicken John", said the initiative would turn "every toilet in San Francisco into basically a shrine for George W. Bush and all his great achievements in his eight years as our commander in chief."
- These final, certified, results are from the San Francisco elections office.
- November 4, 2008 official San Francisco voter guide
- David Latterman's analysis of the November 2008 San Francisco local ballot measures
- Movement to Rename Sewage Plant After Bush Gains Steam in San Francisco
- Sewage plant 'honor' doesn't deserve answer
- California's Proposition R would rename sewage plant after George W. Bush