San Francisco George Bush Sewage Plant, Proposition R (November 2008)
The George Bush Sewage Plant Initiative will appear on the November 4, 2008 citywide San Francisco ballot as Proposition R. More than 11,000 petition signatures were submitted to qualify the measure for the fall ballot.,
If it passes, it will re-name the city's Oceanside Treatment Plant as the George W. Bush Sewage Plant. The group supporting the initiative is called the Presidential Memorial Commission of San Francisco.
John Rinaldi, a co-sponsor of the petition who ran unsuccessfully for San Francisco mayor in 2007 using his nickname, "Chicken John", said the initiative would turn "every toilet in San Francisco into basically a shrine for George W. Bush and all his great achievements in his eight years as our commander in chief."
- Movement to Rename Sewage Plant After Bush Gains Steam in San Francisco
- Sewage plant 'honor' doesn't deserve answer
- California's Proposition R would rename sewage plant after George W. Bush
- Mission accomplished: Bush sewer plant measure qualifies for SF ballot in November, July 18, 2008
- New York Times, "California: Name change on ballot", July 19, 2008