San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission, Proposition J (November 2008)
Proposition J, a charter amendment, created an Historic Preservation Commission (HPC). The HPC:
- Consists of seven members, nominated by the Mayor and approved by a majority of the Board of Supervisors.
- Six of the seven members are required to have specific professional qualifications related to architecture and historic preservation.
- Four members were to serve an initial term of four years and three members were to serve an initial term of two years. After these initial terms, all members serve four-year terms.
- Members of the HPC could only be removed for cause.
- The HPC does not have its own department head, staff or budget authority, but relies on Planning Department staff and budgeting.
- The HPC took over the duties of the Landmarks Board and some functions that had hitherto been performed by the Planning Commission and the
- The HPC has the authority to (a) make recommendations directly to the Board of Supervisors about designation of landmarks, historic buildings, historic districts, and conservation districts; (b) approve permits or certificates for demolition of or alteration to designated landmarks and historic buildings, as well as buildings in historic districts and conservation districts; and (c) make recommendations about proposed ordinances and resolutions concerning historic preservation.
- These final, certified, results are from the San Francisco elections office.
The question on the ballot:
|Proposition J: "Shall the City establish a seven-member Historic Preservation Commission and give it authority over historic preservation-related decisions in the City?"|
Path to the ballot
Proposition J was referred to the ballot on July 29, 2008 by an 11-0 vote of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
- November 4, 2008 official San Francisco voter guide
- David Latterman's analysis of the November 2008 San Francisco local ballot measures
- Website of the Historic Preservation Commission
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found