A San Anselmo Library parcel tax, Measure C
ballot proposition was on the June 8, 2010 ballot
for voters in San Anselmo in Marin County
, where it was approved
The Measure C tax was $49/parcel annually, effective for five years.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval.
| Measure C|
| Yes|| 10,115|| 70.27%|
- These final, certified results are from the Marin County elections office.
The editorial board of the Marin Independent Journal endorsed Measure C, saying, "Local support for our libraries is evidence of the value we place on literacy, culture, academic achievement and knowledge. They are unlimited open spaces for our minds and hearts...The public discussion about our libraries should not be about what hours and programs to cut, but how can we expand hours and enhance library programs and services."
According to supporter Steve Patterson, the parcel tax will:
- "...allow the library to begin setting aside small amounts of money to create a building fund that can serve for capital improvements."
- "...enable the library to acquire new materials and technology, maintain and possibly expand its hours of operation and keep key staff who serve as valuable learning resources."
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|| MEASURE C: To provide a consistent, locally-controlled funding source, augmenting current general fund allocations for the San Rafael Public Library, for expanded hours, improved facilities, equipment, materials, and services for children, teens, and adults, shall the City of San Rafael be authorized to levy an annual $49 parcel tax (slightly higher rates for multiple-unit residential parcels) for a period of seven years, with oversight by an independent citizens committee and with exemptions for senior citizens?
- ↑ Marin Independent Journal, "Five tax measures on Marin's June 8 ballot", March 24, 2010
- ↑ Marin Independent Journal, "Marin voters to weigh $49 library parcel tax on June ballot", April 17, 2010
- ↑ Marin Independent Journal, "San Anselmo joins San Rafael and county with library parcel tax measure", February 24, 2010
- ↑ Marin Independent Journal, "Editorial: IJ endorses all three local library taxes", April 25, 2010
- ↑ Marin Independent Journal, "San Rafael's library needs support", March 16, 2010
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.