Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Michigan House of Representatives District 1|
|Master's||Wayne State University|
|Other||The National Naval War College|
|Service/branch||U.S. Coast Guard, Commander|
|Years of service||22 years including two tours of duty to Kuwait|
|Profession||Small Business Manager, Midtown Detroit, Inc.|
He currently works as the Small Business Development Manager for Midtown Detroit, Inc., a nonprofit concerned with revitalizing Midtown, and as a partner in Trivium Partners LLC, a Detroit real estate development firm. He is also a Commissioned Officer in the US Coast Guard Reserve.
Benson is an economic development specialist and works with small businesses in his role with Midtown Detroit, Inc. Benson says he has brought over 300 jobs to Metro Detroit and over $30 million in economic investment. He also is responsible for approximately $750,000 in financing for a community service center which includes 100 Head Start classroom seats, a University of Michigan technology hub, and an adult literacy program.
Benson describes the main themes of his campaign on his campaign website.
Excerpt: "I want students in our community to excel. We can meet students’ needs by funding programs and encouraging a curriculum that enables them to meet and exceed state educational performance and employability standards."
- Job Creation
Excerpt: "Building upon my record of creating jobs, I’ll use my small business development experience, courting and financing new and existing businesses, to bolster our local economies."
- Public Safety
Excerpt: "Nothing is more important to me than keeping our communities, schools and public spaces safe for our families. This can only be accomplished by implementing effective policies that build upon the positive steps taken by our law enforcement authorities."
- Regional Transportation System
Excerpt: "I support the exploration of practical and creative solutions to solve the growing number of issues facing our public transit system. Great cities around the nation have embraced the power and increased mobility a regional transit system can provide residents."
Benson has been endorsed by the following individuals and organizations, as listed on his campaign website:
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Detroit Free Press
- The Detroit News
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 26
- Detroit Police Officers Association
- Michigan Farm Bureau
- Michigan Credit Union League Legislative Action Fund
- Michigan Association of Police Organizations
- Wayne County Democratic Black Caucus
- The Eastside Slate
- Hmong Community of Metro-Detroit
- Ecumenical Ministers Alliance
- Wayne County Pharmacists Association
- Fannie Lou Hamer
- Dr. Nicholas Hood III, Pastor of Plymouth United Church of Christ
Benson was a Democratic candidate for District 2 in the Michigan House of Representatives in the November 2, 2010 state legislative elections. Benson was defeated by Lisa Howze in the Democratic primary on August 3, 2010.
Scott Benson began his public service as a member of the U.S. Coast Guard, serving 22 years as a commissioned officer, including two tours of duty in Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Scott + Benson + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this candidate due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official Campaign Website
- Scott Benson Facebook
- Michigan Board of Elections-2012 Candidate List
- Michigan Department of State "2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," Accessed June 7, 2012
- Scott Benson for State Represtative, "Issues," accessed August 2, 2012
- Scott Benson for State Representative, "Endorsements," June 27, 2012
- Michigan Secretary of State, 2010 Primary Election Results – State Representative, retrieved July 19, 2012.
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |