Scott W. Taylor
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 85|
|January 8, 2014|
|January 13, 2016|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Years of service||1997-2005|
|Place of birth||Hebron, VA|
Taylor earned his graduate certificate in Government Contracting from Old Dominion University, and is studying International Relations at Harvard University Extension School. Taylor's professional experience includes working as a licensed real estate broker and owning a fitness center. He served as a Navy SEAL from 1997 to 2005 and spent two years as a SEAL instructor.
Taylor's website highlighted the following campaign issues:
- Committed to Freedom
- Excerpt: "As Chairman of Special Operations OPSEC Education Fund, he fought against dangerous national security leaks in the Obama Administration."
- School Safety
- Excerpt: "Our state must lead by creating easily understood, minimum standards for safety at every school, with clear and rehearsed lockdown plans, clear communication, and effective partnerships between school staff and first responders."
- Smaller Government
- Excerpt: "Raised by a single mother, working on a farm and paying taxes at age 11, and being blessed with an excellent mentor, all contributed to Scott’s understanding of conservative principals. Scott understands how taking more money from struggling families hurts their quality of life."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "Scott Taylor understands that Second Amendment rights are about individual self-defense. More gun laws hurt your ability to defend yourself against a criminal who has decided to ignore the law anyway."
- Excerpt: "Scott Taylor believes Kempsville schools are among the best, and Scott knows today’s learning leads to tomorrow’s jobs. Scott’s extensive military training, Master’s certificate from Old Dominion University and current work toward an ALB International Relations degree from Harvard University shows his commitment to learning."
Taylor won the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 85. Taylor defeated Gary C. Byler and T. Jeremy Waters in the June 11 Republican primary. He defeated Bill Dale (D) in the general election on November 5, 2013.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 85 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||Scott W. Taylor||56.3%||11,041|
|Virginia House of Delegates District 85 Republican Primary, 2013|
Incumbent Bob Tata (R), who has held this seat since 1984, is not seeking re-election. After an active Republican primary, the perceived establishment choice did not win the nomination for this district east of Norfolk. Although Governor Bob McDonnell (R) won handily here in 2009 with 64 percent of the vote, President Barack Obama (D) and presidential candidate Mitt Romney (R) tied here in 2012. Political observers speculated that, if Taylor were deemed too extreme by a significant portion of the electorate, Bill Dale (D) may win this open seat for the Democrats in November 2013.
In 2013, Taylor has been endorsed by the following:
- Bob Purkey
- Barry Knight
- Terry Kilgore
- Chris Jones
- Jackson H. Miller
- Ronald Villanueva
- Will Sessoms
- Bill DeSteph
- Jim Wood
- Harry Diezel
- Louis Jones
- Bob Dyer
- John Urhin
- Dan Edwards
- Bill Brunke
Scott Taylor campaign kickoff - 2013
In 2013, Taylor earned a 92% rating from the National Rifleman's Association for his positions on gun rights.
Taylor is the President of the Special Operations OPSEC Education Fund, and served on the board of the UDT/SEAL Museum and the Virginia Beach Forum.
Bin Laden Raid Criticism
During the 2012 presidential campaign, Taylor appeared on a 22-minute video produced by the Special Operations OPSEC Education Fund, which he is the president of. In the video, he criticized the Obama administration for the declassification of information related to the raid on Osama Bin Laden.
- The Virginian-Pilot, "Mudslinging mars GOP primary for state House seat," April 26, 2013
- Bearing Drift, "Taylor to run for delegate in 85th District"
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Scott + Taylor + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Del. Taylor's website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Facebook page
- LinkedIn page
- Candidate Twitter feed
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Vote VA profile
- bearingdrift.com, "Scott Taylor announcing in the 2nd," September 22, 2009
- Issues, Scott Taylor for Delegate, Accessed May 9, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, "Unofficial Primary Results," Accessed June 13, 2013
- Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- VPAP, "House of Delegates District 85," accessed October 3, 2013
- Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
- University of Virginia Center for Politics, Sabato's Crystal Ball, "Republicans Certain to Retain Control of Virginia House of Delegates," August 8, 2013
- Endorsements, Scott Taylor for Delegate, Accessed May 9, 2013
- votesmart.org, "Scott W. Taylor's Ratings and Endorsements," accessed July 9, 2013
- nytimes.com, "Ex-Officers Attack Obama Over Leaks on Bin Laden Raid," August 15, 2012
- cnn.com, "Former special forces officers slam Obama over leaks on bin Laden killing," August 17, 2012
Bob Tata (R)
|Virginia House of Delegates District 85
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |