|Board Member, Academy School District 20, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Profession||Professional development manager|
Mendes resides in El Paso County, Colorado. Mendes has earned a Bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems from Meadows College and she spent the first fifteen years of her career working in the field of information technology. She currently serves as the professional development manager for Aventa Credit Union, where she has been employed for the last six years. Mendes holds several professional certifications in the fields of information technology and professional develpoment, and she has volunteered most recently with the Fostering Hope Foundation and Junior Achievement in Colorado Springs.
|Academy School District 20, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Catherine Bullock Incumbent||24%||12,019|
|Nonpartisan||Linda Van Matre Incumbent||23.2%||11,642|
|Nonpartisan||Larry Norman Borland||23.1%||11,576|
|Nonpartisan||Andrea Van Nort||18.6%||9,305|
|Source: El Paso County, Colorado, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 14, 2013|
Mendes did not receive any official endorsements for her 2013 campaign.
Mendes' campaign website listed the following campaign themes for 2013:
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Three seats, including those of the board president, vice president and treasurer were at stake. Doug Lundberg, who served as the vice president of the board, was ineligible to run for another term because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which states that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office." Incumbents Linda Van Matre and Catherine Bullock ran for re-election against challengers Shannon Mendes, Larry Norman Borland and Andrea Van Nort.
About the district
- See also: Academy School District 20, Colorado
El Paso County outperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of its poverty rate, but underperformed in terms of its average household income and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in El Paso County is $57,079 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in El Paso County is 11.7% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 35.1% of El Paso County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Shannon + Mendes + Academy + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Shannon Mendes for Colorado Springs D20 School Board, "About Shannon Mendes," accessed October 8, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate and Candidate Committee Detail," Accessed December 19, 2013
- Shannon Mendes for Colorado Springs D20 School Board, "Home," accessed October 8, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- El Paso County, Colorado, "Official Sample Ballot for 2013 Coordinated Election," accessed October 2, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "El Paso County, Colorado," accessed August 7, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 2, 2013