|U.S. Senate, Maine|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next primary||June 10, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Birthday||March 23, 1975|
|Place of birth||Greenfield, Massachusetts|
Bellows was born on March 23, 1975, in Greenfield, Massachusetts. In 1976 her family moved to Hancock, Maine. She graduated from Ellsworth High School located in Ellsworth, Maine, in 1993.
In 2001 and 2002, Bellows was a Program Associate at Community IMPACT! in Nashville, TN, launching neighborhood-based, youth-centered programming in economically and racially diverse neighborhoods. From 1999 to 2001 she served in the Peace Corps in Panama, where she facilitated the development and execution of a micro-credit lending program for artisan groups and also served as the Co-President of Women in Development/Gender and Development. From 1997 to 1999 Bellows worked as a researcher and recruiter for Economists Incorporated, a privately held economic consulting firm specializing in microeconomic analysis in antitrust, regulatory and legal contexts in Washington, DC.
Bellows served as Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Maine from March 2005 until stepping down in September 2013 to run for U.S. Senate. She was a leader of Mainers United for Marriage, working for seven years to legalize same-sex marriage in Maine, and she co-chaired the 2011 Protect Maine Votes campaign to restore same-day voter registration.. Most recently, Bellows led the opposition to warrantless drone surveillance in Maine, and organized a privacy campaign to require warrants for access to private cellphone communications. Prior to her work at the ACLU of Maine, Bellows was the national field organizer at the ACLU in Washington, DC, organizing nationwide civil liberties campaigns including opposition to the Patriot Act.
Bellows is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. Senate, representing Maine. Bellows ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 10, 2014. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
|Shenna Bellows (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$0.00||$0.00||$(0.00)||$0.00|
|Year End||January 31, 2014||$0||$333,957||$(100,343)||$233,614|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$233,614||$434,805||$(152,694)||$515,724|
|Pre-Primary||May 29, 2014||$515,724||$258,238||$(192,459)||$581,503|
Bellows and her husband, Brandon Baldwin, reside in Manchester, Maine.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Shenna + Bellows + Maine + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Downeast to DC, "Susan Collins’ Democratic Senate Challenger May Be ACLU’s Shenna Bellows," accessed September 27, 2013
- Maine Humanities.org, "Bellows"
- The Nation, "Voting Rights Restored in Maine,"
- Press Herald, "New cellphone privacy laws take effect,"
- Federal Election Commission, "Shenna Bellows 2014 Summary reports," accessed November 13, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "October Quarterly," accessed November 13, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Year End Report," accessed May 15, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly," accessed May 15, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Pre-Primary," accessed June 18, 2014