South Carolina Director of Insurance
|South Carolina Director of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$18,570,719|
|Authority:||South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 1, Chapter 30|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other South Carolina Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Comptroller • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Adjutant General • Inspector General • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The South Carolina Department of Insurance is an agency of the Governor's Cabinet and is managed and operated by the director who is appointed by, and serves at the will of, the governor upon the advice and consent of the South Carolina State Senate.
The South Carolina Department of Insurance, with the director at its head, in Title 1, Chapter 30 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
The mission of the State of South Carolina Department of Insurance is to protect the insurance consumers, the public interest, and the insurance marketplace by ensuring the solvency of insurers; by enforcing and implementing the insurance laws of the state; and by regulating the insurance industry in an efficient, courteous, responsive, fair, and equitable manner.
The budget for the Department of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2012-2013 was $18,570,719.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Beginning in 2013, the annual salary for the South Carolina Director of Insurance is $130,000.
South Carolina Department of Insurance
Post Office Box 100105
Columbia, SC 29202
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, except for State legal holidays as stated in Section 53-5-10 of the South Carolina Code of Laws. 
- Insurance Commissioner
- Raymond Farmer
- Gwen Fuller-McGriff
- David Black
- South Carolina state executive offices
- South Carolina Department of Insurance "About" Accessed February 1, 2013
- American Insurance Association, "Press release: "AIA STATEMENT ON CONFIRMATION OF RAY FARMER TO HEAD SOUTH CAROLINA’S INSURANCE DEPARTMENT," February 15, 2013
- NAIC "South Carolina" Accessed February 1, 2013
- NAIC "Members" Accessed February 1, 2013
- SCStateHouse.gov, "South Carolina Code of Laws. Title 1 - Administration of the government. Chapter 30: Departments of state government," accessed October 13, 2011
- South Carolina Department of Insurance, About SCDOI
- South Carolina Budget and Control Board, "Current Budget Plans FY 2013-2014," accessed April 9, 2013
- The Nerve Center, "S.C. Salary Panel Approves Salaries for New Insurance Director, Winthrop University President," February 27, 2013
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011
- South Carolina Department of Insurance "Contact Us" Accessed February 1, 2013