Difference between revisions of "South Carolina school districts"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
'''South Carolina''' is home to
'''South Carolina''' is home to school districts, 1,schools and ,K-12 students.<ref name=SC>[http://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/ed/edfacts/state-profiles/southcarolina.pdf ''U.S. Department of Education,'' "2012 EDFacts State Profile," Accessed August 12, 2013]</ref>
|Line 112:||Line 92:|
[[Category:State school district portals]]
[[Category:State school district portals]]
Revision as of 13:59, 24 March 2014
|K-12 Education in South Carolina|
|State Superintendent: Mick Zais|
|Number of students: 727,186|
|Number of teachers: 46,782|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:15.5|
|Number of school districts: 105|
|Number of schools: 1,223|
|Graduation rate: 75%|
|Per-pupil spending: $8,986|
|South Carolina Department of Education|
South Carolina school districts
List of school districts in South Carolina
School boards portal
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in South Carolina
Glossary of education terms
South Carolina is home to 105 school districts, 1,213 schools and 727,186 K-12 students.
|South Carolina State Board of Education|
|1||Dr. David Longshore|
|4||Dr. David Blackmon, Chair|
|5||Dr. Traci Young Cooper|
|6||Raye O'Neal Boyd|
|12||Bishop Michael A. Blue|
|13||Dr. Danny Varat|
|14||Dr. Rhonda Edwards|
|15||Dr. Thomas L. Shortt|
The board also includes an at-large seat currently represented by Michael Brenan.
The following list details the racial demographics of South Carolina schools according to the U.S. Department of Education:
|Race||% of South Carolina students|
|Two or more||2|
School board elections
A total of 23 South Carolina school districts among America's largest school districts by enrollment will hold elections in 2014 for 93 seats. Kershaw County School District held its election on June 10, 2014. The other 22 districts will hold elections on November 4, 2014.
Here are several quick facts about South Carolina's school board elections in 2014:
- The largest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 is Greenville County School District with 71,930 K-12 students.
- The smallest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 is Anderson School District One with 9,246 K-12 students.
- Beaufort County School District has the most seats on the ballot in 2014 with seven seats up for election.
- School District of Oconee County has the fewest seats on the ballot in 2014 with two seats up for election.
The districts listed below served 491,536 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district names for more information on the district and its school board elections.
- South Carolina
- List of school districts in South Carolina
- Superintendent of Schools
- South Carolina Superintendent of Education
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- U.S. Department of Education, "2012 EDFacts State Profile," Accessed August 12, 2013
- South Carolina Department of Education, "State Board Member of Education," Accessed August 12, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of South Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller General | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
South Carolina Department of Education | South Carolina school districts |