South Dakota 2012 ballot measures
Revision as of 16:12, 13 November 2012 by EPrem
Seven ballot measures have been certified for the 2012 ballot in the state of South Dakota.
- All but two of the measures were defeated.
- Supporters of proposed citizen initiatives had until the November 1, 2011 petition drive deadline to collect 15,854 for initiated state statutes.
- The 2012 state legislative session began on January 10, 2012 and ended in mid-March of 2012. Legislative referrals could have been sent to the 2012 ballot during this time.
On the ballot
|Constitutional Amendment M||Constitutions||Deals with modernizing language dealing with corporations in the state.|
|Constitutional Amendment N||Admin. of gov't.||Strikes a travel reimbursement provision from the state constitution.|
|Constitutional Amendment O||State budgets||Changes amount taken each year from state cement-plant trust fund.|
|Constitutional Amendment P||State legislatures||Places language in the state constitution saying that the budget must be balanced.|
|VR||Referred Law 14||Taxes||Dedicates part of tax revenues for grants to some business projects in the state.|
|VR||Referred Law 16||Labor||Blocks a bill that would ban tenure and give bonuses to top teachers among other provisions.|
|CISS||Initiated Measure 15||Taxes||Implements a one-percent sales tax increase.|
Not on the ballot
|BI||Elector Determination Process Initiative||Elections||Would change the process of determining electors for Electoral College.|
|Term Extension Amendment||Admin. of gov't.||The measure would extend the terms state legislators can serve.|
Local ballot measures
- See also: Local ballot measure elections in 2012
No local measures have been identified for 2012. Read about local happenings here.
- Associated Press,"Teachers urged to quit SD reform law referral; superintendents want their focus elsewhere," April 6, 2012
- The Daily Republic,"Petitions delivered to put state's grants to businesses on the ballot," June 28, 2011
- Legislative review only done in states where the indirect initiative process is implemented.