South Dakota down ballot state executive elections, 2014
June 3, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lt. Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Treasurer, Auditor, Commissioner of School and Public Lands, Public Utility Commissioner
South Dakota is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Parties decide who may vote. Registered Democrats and unaffiliated voters may vote in the Democratic primary. Only registered Republicans may vote in the Republican primary.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?|
|State Auditor||Steve Barnett
|Public Utilities Commission|| Gary Hanson
|Commissioner of School and Public Lands||Vernon L. Larson
The official duties of the South Dakota treasurer are outlined in Chapter 1-10, Section 1 of the South Dakota Codified Laws:
- have charge of and safely keep all public moneys which shall be paid into the state treasury
- pay out the same as directed by law
- perform such other duties as are required of him by law
The auditor is an independent officeholder who serves as a watchdog, scrutinizing the manner in which state tax dollars are being spent.
Secretary of Education
The secretary provides education leadership at the state level. The office is responsible for directing the department's strategic planning, communications, and oversees legislative action and personnel.
Public Utilities Commission
The commission regulates utility companies, helps to resolve disputes between customers and their utilities, operates safety programs, and licenses and inspects state public grain warehouses and grain buyers.
- South Dakota Secretary of State Website, "Registration & Voting," accessed January 3,2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for General Election," accessed August 4, 2014
- E-mail communication with Kristen Mathews, January 16, 2014
- South Dakota State News, "Governor Daugaard To Appoint Vern Larson As Commissioner Of School And Public Lands," accessed August 13, 2013
- Legis.state.SD.us, "Chapter 1-10, South Dakota codified laws," accessed October 21, 2011
- Doe.SD.gov, "About us," accessed October 21, 2011
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |