Spartanburg County School District 6 elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Spartanburg County School District 6
Local ballot measures, South Carolina
Spartanburg County, South Carolina ballot measures
Five seats on the Spartanburg County School District 6 School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013.
About the district
The county underperforms the state in median household income and higher education, but outperforms the state in poverty rate. According to the 2010 Census, the median household income in Spartanburg County is $43,563 compared to South Carolina's statewide median of $44,587. The rate of residents below the poverty level in Spartanburg County is 16.2% while the state rate is 17.0%. The percentage of residents over 25 with a bachelor's degree or higher in Spartanburg County is 20.4% compared to the state average of 24.2%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Spartanburg County School District 6 School Board consists of nine members elected to four-year terms. The members of the board are elected at-large by voters in the district. The general election was held on November 5, 2013. Five seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 and the remaining four seats are up for election in November 3, 2015.
- Mike Crook
- Dale Evans
- Michael Forrester
- Kevin Harrison
- Mary Lou Hightower
|Spartanburg County School District 2, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Michael Forrester Incumbent||18.3%||957|
|Nonpartisan||Mary Lou Hightower Incumbent||18.1%||948|
|Nonpartisan||Dale Evans Incumbent||17.9%||934|
|Nonpartisan||Kevin Harrison Incumbent||17.7%||925|
|Nonpartisan||Mike Crook Incumbent||16.9%||884|
|Source: Spartanburg County, "Office of Registration and Election," accessed December 17, 2013|
Candidates received a total of $1,492.15 and spent a total of $1,492.15 during the election, according to the South Carolina State Ethics Commission.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
|Mary Lou Hightower||$1,200.00||$1,200.00||$0.00|
No candidates received any official endorsements for their campaigns.
What was at stake?
Five seats on the Spartanburg School District 6 school board were at stake in the upcoming election. All five incumbents sought re-election and were the only candidates in the race.
The following were key deadlines for the Spartanburg County School District 6 School Board election.
|March 15, 2013||First day for filing nominating petitions|
|July 15, 2013||Last day to file candidate petitions|
|August 15, 2013||Petition candidates must be certified by this date|
|October 6, 2013||Last day an elector may register to vote or make change to their voting record to be eligible for the General Election|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
In addition to school board representatives, residents of Spartanburg County School District 6 voted in Mayoral, City Council, and Comm. Of Public Works races on November 5, 2013.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- South Carolina
- Spartanburg County School District 6, South Carolina
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, South Carolina
- 2010 Census: Quick Facts, "Chester County," accessed October 15, 2013"
- The New York TImes, "Election Results," accessed August 9, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- State Ethics Commission," "Public Disclosure and Accountability Reporting," accessed December 26, 2013
- "South Carolina Election Commission," "2012 Election Calendar," accessed October 21, 2013
- Henry Laye, Candidates for Nov 5 2013, accessed October 22, 2013