Difference between revisions of "Stamford Public Schools, Connecticut"
|Line 226:||Line 226:|
| Science || 33.3 || 47.1
| Science || 33.3 || 47.1
Revision as of 13:39, 10 January 2014
|Stamford Public Schools|
|Number of schools:||20|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Geoff Alswanger|
About the districtFairfield County in southwestern Connecticut. The population of Stamford was 122,643 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Stamford outperformed the rest of Connecticut based on median income and poverty levels but lags behind in higher education achievement in 2010. The 2010 U.S. Census found the median income in Stamford was $78,201 while the state median income was $69,243. The city's poverty rate was 11% compared to the state's 9.5% poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (43.9%) was higher than the state average (35.7%).
The current Superintendent of Stamford Public Schools is Winifred Hamilton. She has served in the position since her appointment in June 2012. Hamilton has worked as a teacher and administrator in the district for more than 40 years.
Stamford Public Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Schools in Stamford Public Schools
The district served 15,471 K-12 students during the 2011-2012 school year. The district experienced a 3.9% increase in enrollment between 2007 and 2011. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2007 and 2011:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Stamford Public Schools operates 20 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Stamford Public Schools|
|AITE High School|
|Cloonan Middle School|
|Davenport Ridge Elementary School|
|Dolan Middle School|
|Hart Magnet School|
|Julia A. Stark Elementary School|
|K.T. Murphy Elementary School|
|Newfield Elementary School|
|Northeast Elementary School|
|Rippowam Middle School|
|Rogers International School|
|Roxbury Elementary School|
|Scofield Magnet School|
|Springdale Elementary School|
|Stamford High School|
|Stillmeadow Elementary School|
|Toquam Magnet School|
|Turn of River Middle School|
|Westhill High School|
|Westover Magnet School|
The Connecticut State Department of Education published a Strategic District Profile about Stamford Public Schools after the 2011-2012 school year. This profile includes the results of standardized tests used to meet requirements set by the federal No Child Left Behind Act. The Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) assesses reading, writing and mathematics proficiency levels among students in grades three through eight. The Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) measures proficiency levels in reading, writing, mathematics and science among tenth graders. The following tables compare CMT and CAPT results from Stamford Public Schools to state proficiency levels:
|CMT Results, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Subject Area||District Students Meeting Goal (%)||State Students Meeting Goal (%)|
|CAPT Results, 2011-2012|
|Subject Area||District Students Meeting Goal (%)||State Students Meeting Goal (%)|
|Reading Across the Disciplines||33.2||47.5|
|Writing Across the Disciplines||51.7||63.0|
Last rated on October 29, 2012.
|Transparency grading process|
- Budgets are posted.
- Administrative Officials
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- Elected Officials
- Board of education members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting schedule, agendas, minutes, and videos are posted.
- Background Checks
- Background check policy is posted in the board policies.
- Audits are not provided.
- Current contracts are not posted.
- Public Records
- No information regarding public records requests.
- Tax information is not provided.
- Academic performance is not noted.
- District page
- City of Stamford
- Connecticut State Department of Education
- Connecticut Association of Boards of Education
- Stamford Education Association
- Connecticut State Department of Education, "Connecticut Education Data and Research," Accessed January 9, 2014
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Stamford," Accessed October 24, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Election Results," Accessed October 10, 2013
- Stamford Advocate, "Hamilton named superintendent," June 19, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, "Current Year Approved Final Budget," accessed November 26, 2013
- Stamford Public Schools, "Our Schools," January 10, 2014
- Connecticut State Department of Education, "Strategic School Profile Reports," Accessed January 10, 2014
- Stamford Public Schools, Budgets, Accessed: October 29, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, Central Office, Accessed: October 29, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, Board of Education, Accessed: October 29, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, Meetings, Accessed: October 29, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, Union Contracts, Accessed: October 29, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, Bids and RFPs, Accessed: October 29, 2012
- Stamford Public Schools, Board Policies, Accessed: October 29, 2012