State senators sorted by year first elected to senate, 1960's
Revision as of 11:48, 16 November 2010 by Joshualmeyer
In the 50 American states, there are a total of 1,971 state senators.
This list sorts them according to the year they were first elected or appointed to their current office.
- If a current state senator on this list previously held a different elective office, this list does not sort that person based on his or her year of election to the office held earlier. Rather, it sorts the senator only by the year of election/appointment to a currently-held position of state senator.
- If a state senator served in office, left for a time, and then was elected again, that person is sorted by the year they were first elected.
- In some states, senators are sworn-in to office the year that they were elected. In other states, they assume office (are sworn in) the following year, typically in January. Senators are sorted below based on the year they were appointed or elected, not on the year they were sworn in.
- Dave Nething (R) from North Dakota State Senate District 12.
- Norman Stone (D) from Maryland State Senate District 6.